autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What is the closest modern day product to this tire gel?

Hi everyone, I LOVE this tire gel, but it was discontinued long ago. I was wondering if you could tell me what modern day product is the most similar to this:

I love how durable it is, and I find that it doesn't sling. It really lasts for a good amount of time on the tires. And I like the look of it on the tires. Oh why was it discontinued? Best tire gel I have ever found.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is the closest modern day product to this tire gel?

I've tested and use these;

1. Pinnacle Black Onyx
    2. Wolfgang Black Diamond Tire Gel
    3. DP Gloss Tire Gel
    4. Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel

I've listed from 1 to 4 for level of glossiness.

All of these are superb performers with the "more glossy" going to Pinnacle and Wolfgang. Now this glossiness is not the wet shine you might be thinking of if you've ever used something like Meguiar's "Hot Wheels" tire spray.

While either the Pinnacle or Wolfgang are applied they do give off that wet appearance but as the product soaks into the rubber it tends to tone it down to a nice black satin finish. I apply all my tire treatments with a brush and a foam sponge.

DP Gloss Tire Gel goes on buttery smooth and dries to a deep dark rich blackness. It's has sort of a mint smell to it but goes away after it's dried.

Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel is another good performer but it takes a couple of coats to get it looking good. This gives what I'd call the flattest finish although it does look quite good but not quite as rich as the three above.

All of these have a decent lifespan so I'm sure one will suit your needs.

Depending on the look take your pick!

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

maybe it was just renamed

MEGUIAR'S ENDURANCE TIRE PROTECTANT HIGH GLOSS FINISH GEL

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, #38, I remember it well...but I never got to try it before it was discontinued. This was another one of those products that was a victim of, what did Mike Phillips call it? Skew rationalization? That the sales were not enough to justify continuing with the product even though it may have been a good one.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    what did Mike Phillips call it? Skew rationalization?
    Skew Rationalization

Love that term... and yes, I think that's what happened to it. I think Trim Dressing is a close cousin, don't know how close the new dressing would be to this retired product.

The most important thing to do with most tire dressings is to either apply a thin, uniform coating, or if you don't get a thin coating applied then wipe off any excess before driving. Wiping tends to mute any gloss leaving you with a more matte appearance.

Post Thanks / Like

I have not used M38, but Endurance is good stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. I've been curious about the DP tire gel, and maybe I'll just have to try it. So how does everyone like the DP, or the Megs endurance tire gel? Are they both pretty durable? I've used optimum tire shine, but I'm not a fan. It seems to disappear to quickly, and the tires seem to turn brown after a day or so. Haven't used the opti-bond, though.

And Mike's advice is dead on...I always apply a thin, uniform coating. I HATE over-applying tire products. Then it just slings off!

Post Thanks / Like

Optimum tire shine disappears quickly followed by browning? Sounds like you need to scrub those tires with a good APC or something like Eagle One A2Z or whatever they call it now. I was having this problem with one set of tires until I scrubbed them real well with some Hi Temp tire cleaner, which is going to be similar to the A2Z.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Optimum tire shine disappears quickly followed by browning? Sounds like you need to scrub those tires with a good APC or something like Eagle One A2Z or whatever they call it now. I was having this problem with one set of tires until I scrubbed them real well with some Hi Temp tire cleaner, which is going to be similar to the A2Z.
    I do use A2Z cleaner when I clean the tires. IMO the Optimum tire shine just doesn't last for me. It looks great the day I apply it, but the next day it looks more matte, then the 3rd day the tires look brown to me. That's just my opinion, not stating it as a fact. I do clean the tires thoroughly before applying any dressing.

That is one thing I like about the Megs #38...it has an anti-ozonate compound in it that prevents the browning effect that I'm seeing. I haven't used a product that is so good at diminishing the browning like #38 is.

Post Thanks / Like

Optimum Opti-bond and DP Gloss tire gel!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast