autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Washing pads and micro fiber towels

I must be going crazy or maybe it's testimony to the cleaner waxes I've been using but I'm spending enough time at the end of the day cleaning pads and towels to make me want to consider doing something else. Does anyone have a system or better way? I've used DP pad cleaner and it works well on the cuts but struggles with the Carnauba pad and dawn is the same way. And then rinse rinse rinse UGH!
    Per Seve Rando
    Success by perseverance

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Washing pads and micro fiber towels

Post Thanks / Like

Well. I've seen one at the class but never really had any real experience with one. Have you? What is it like?
    Per Seve Rando
    Success by perseverance

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbbrooks View Post
    I must be going crazy or maybe it's testimony to the cleaner waxes I've been using but I'm spending enough time at the end of the day cleaning pads and towels to make me want to consider doing something else. Does anyone have a system or better way? I've used DP pad cleaner and it works well on the cuts but struggles with the Carnauba pad and dawn is the same way. And then rinse rinse rinse UGH!
    Dawn Power Dissolver.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe if you spray your pads with pad conditioner or some cleaner to moisten them and put them in a zip-lock until you are ready to throw them in the wash. Just an idea. It seems like as long as the wax/sealant doesn't dry completely it washes out easier with just pad cleaner. Maybe even keep a spray bottle of some mf cleaner or pad cleaner handy to pretreat your stuff as soon as your done with it.

Post Thanks / Like

I hate washing pads too and I was really considering getting the Pad Washer, but from my understanding, it is more for just cleaning pads used with compounds, not sealant and waxes. It goes into that discussion where if waxes and sealants came off easily when cleaning the pads, then they wouldn't be that durable and last as long, due to being exposed to water thing. I think most of you know, what I am talking about. Mike has discussed it a couple of times. Tried looking for the thread, but couldn't find it.

Here is a review of the Grit Guard Pad Washer and they discuss about it being used mainly for just cleaning pads used with compounds and Mike even chimes in on it:

Product Review: Grit Guard Universal Pad Washer

If anyone has any different information, how the Pad Washer would be good to use for cleaning pads with waxes and sealants on them, let me know.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbbrooks View Post
    Well. I've seen one at the class but never really had any real experience with one. Have you? What is it like?

No I haven't used it. I lable my pads so I always use the same pad with same product. After awhile if they get too bad I toss them. I only use my pads a few times then toss and start new.

Post Thanks / Like

Might try this home made laundry powder.....

2 cups Fels Naptha Soap (finely grated – we run ours through the blender)
    1 cup Washing Soda
    1 cup Borax
    • Mix well and store in an airtight plastic container.

almost like DP Pad Cleaner but with out the citric scent.

I cleaned some XMT 360 pads the other day and it amazed me how fast and clean they came out. Just after a few minutes of agitating they were clean ..... with out all the squeeze out of product like you get with sealants or wax's. Really cut through the sealant and rinsed nice and clean.

Post Thanks / Like

I also label my pads it just stands to reason that no matter what you do you will never remove 100% of the Product 100% of the time. A rough count during inventory in January totaled some 300 plus pads between the shop and our mobile units. Some might think this is excessive but we do "retire" about 20 to 30 pads a months along with a few dozen MF towels. We have a 5) gallon plastic drum filled with a solution of distelled water 85%, White Vinegar at %10, HE Laundry Detergent (TIDE) 3% and Muriatic Acid at 3%. This solution is what we call our BREAK DOWN station where after pads are rinsed and cetrifically spun they are then soaked for 3 days before being rinsed and washed. We feel we get them better than 99% clean. This Solution is change 3 times a month or every 9 days. If we do some heavey commercial work and soak more than 5 or 6 hundred pads we will slso change it quicker.
    I have pads I have used well overr 100 times. I belive if you invest in a quality pad and maintain it properly a hobbiest should get 3 plus years out of a PAD. I also believe in using many many pads per vehicle. I know I am in the minority on this because many of you believe in "seasoning" a pad to its saturation point before starting. I am not of that discipline based on my experience and often used 20 plus pads on a single vehicle from start to finish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunD View Post
    Maybe if you spray your pads with pad conditioner or some cleaner to moisten them and put them in a zip-lock until you are ready to throw them in the wash. Just an idea. It seems like as long as the wax/sealant doesn't dry completely it washes out easier with just pad cleaner. Maybe even keep a spray bottle of some mf cleaner or pad cleaner handy to pretreat your stuff as soon as your done with it.

Sounds like a great idea!
    Per Seve Rando
    Success by perseverance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast