autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Charging How Much?

I work for a Mitsubishi dealership and I also detail cars on the weekends to make a lil cash here and there. I was wondering how much you usually charge to detail someones car. I know at work we charge $125, and normally I charge $70. I just wanted to know if I'm not charging enough or what a fair price would be.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lots of variables--full wash, clay, polish, protect, engine, interior for $70 sounds dirt, dirt, dirt cheep--how long is all that going to take??--Justin has posted some great reviews on jobs he has done--may want to review those

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhut8807
    I work for a Mitsubishi dealership and I also detail cars on the weekends to make a lil cash here and there. I was wondering how much you usually charge to detail someones car. I know at work we charge $125, and normally I charge $70. I just wanted to know if I'm not charging enough or what a fair price would be.

I think the question should be is what is fair for how much im doing...

here in new york the full detail sevice goes for about $160.00

wash, wax, and interior........on average........

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I'm talking about a full detail: engine, wet/vac, buff, wax everythin like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    I plan on offering this:
    Wheels cleaned and spray wax. Tires cleaned and 2-step shine.
    Windows cleaned, front windshield polished with PC, all protected with AIO.
    Clay bar
    As many steps as needed for paint correction.
    Trim protected with 303
    Headlights polished, protected, and waxed with WG plastic polishing kit.
    Carpet sprayed vacuumed, sprayed with APC, agitated with PC's carpet brushes.
    ^^ Same for upholsterd seats.
    Re-vacuumed with wet/vac
    Interior plastic/vinyl cleaned with APC
    Protected with either DP Interior Protectant (Natural look)or 303 (more shine)
    Leather cleaned and conditioned with Duragloss leather conditioning
    Odor removal with DG's odor removal
    Window's cleaned with DP's krystal vision glass

As far as paint protectant, I'm going to offer different lenghts of durability and charge accordingly: 6 month protectant (DG 105), 3-4 month Protectant (Pinnacle's Liquid souveran or Poli-Seal depending on customer's wants), and/or a 2 month carnauba (Natty's blue/DP Max Wax)

Also, I'm doing mobile detailing, so I come to you. I will also have a 2-step water filtration system so all water will be %100 pure,clean, and spot-free.

Cars: 2 month - $125; 3-4 Month - $150, 6 month - $175
    Small truck's/small SUV's - Add $25 to above prices.
    Large truck's/SUV's/van's - Add $50 to car's prices.

I'm planning on also offering a "new car" upgrade to the Full detail package. Includes Engine detail, Wheel's waxed, all window's polished, and a premier leather conditioner (Pinnacle). Add another $40-50 to the prices.

Of course this is all subject to seeing the condition of the vehicle. I've done a lot of research in my surrounding area. Also have done lot's of pricing research and product research in the last few months. I feel pretty comfortable where I stand right now.

Also I'll have a nice website (almost developed), bus. cards, flyers, word of mouth, etc. etc.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Charging How Much?

The best way to charge is by the hour. Let the customer decide what "level" of detailing they want. It only makes sense that cars that have not been taken care of will take a lot longer to get back into shape than the cars that have been taken care of. No way should you charge $70 for a job that will require 2 days of work. That $70 may (I say MAY) only cover your expenses. Look at it this way, if a clay bar costs you $20 and you have to use 2 bars on a car, you're cost is already $40 ALONE. By the hour and let the customer determine what "level" they want.

Also, use EagleOne's Easy Dry soap. It has a wetting agent and won't leave water spots, so you can save money by doing away with your double water filtration system...it's not needed if you use this product.

Post Thanks / Like

Said above, it really depends on how far your clients are willing to go. I'm just your average weekend warrior, so to do what you're describing I charge $150-200, depending on the size of the vehicle. Obviously smaller cars are a quicker job, while trucks and SUVs tend to take quite awhile not to mention more of your products.

Wash.
    Engine bay
    Wheels/Wells/Tires
    Spot clay as needed.
    AIO via DA. Wheels by hand.
    Interior vacuum/wipedown. Extractor used on problem areas.

You have to look at your clientele also. Your average, blue-collar clients aren't going to shell out $150 to get their wife's leased Civic done up, so I try to be flexible and allow people to drop services they may not want.

Then again, what works for me and others may not work for you. In my opinion, if you're doing all that for $70 you're undercharging quite a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

Damn, $70 for a detail? Thats about about what i charge for the most basic wash with no wax and just a quick vacuum of the interior and dust.

How long does this detail take you? A full detail for me takes anywhere from 6 to 10 hours. Thats $200 to $400 give or take and I believe that is even low.

Its hard to offer advice on pricing on detailing as there are so many factors involved to consider. But $70 is way low IMO. I'd wonder what's wrong with you if you quoted me $70 for a complete detail.