autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: 1999 bmw m3

Post Thanks / Like

1999 bmw m3

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a pretty sweet 99 M3 Black exterior and Black interior. The overall paint condition is pretty nice with no oxidation or fading. I do not know the thickness of the clear coat because I don't own the cool tool that determines it. The leather seats have the usual cracking (not that much) for an M3 that's 11 yrs old. The seats don't have any tears at all. (huge plus!) I'm really excited to get the "restoration" going on this project because I can already see "spider webs" and blemishes. Now on to my question...

This is my first time working on a BMW. Does any one have experience on them and can share some things to be aware of? For example, softer paint/clear coat, a leather cleaner/conditioner that works better than others, etc?

I don't have pics just yet. But will post as soon as I get can get home from work when the sun is still out.

Thanks all, you guys are the best!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1999 bmw m3

BMW's have hard clear coat. Generally any German car has hard paint and Japan makes have soft paint. I would go with the usual Meguiars twins M105/orange pad followed by M205/white pad.. Tried and true method always works. Be cautious of the paint though. Maybe nothing as harsh as a orange pad at first. Go with something less aggressive. Make sure you use a test spot.

And btw, awesome car! I've always wanted an M3. How many miles and what price? If you don't mind me asking.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fancyfootwork View Post
    BMW's have hard clear coat. Generally any German car has hard paint and Japan makes have soft paint. I would go with the usual Meguiars twins M105/orange pad followed by M205/white pad.. Tried and true method always works. Be cautious of the paint though. Maybe nothing as harsh as a orange pad at first. Go with something less aggressive. Make sure you use a test spot.

And btw, awesome car! I've always wanted an M3. How many miles and what price? If you don't mind me asking.
    I agree to a certain extent, but to save you allot of work, if you are looking for excellency in your outcome, my recommendation...Use the Menzerna line...gives you longer work time than Megs....and being a BMW owner 105 &205 are good products but I wanted more clarity and gloss in my paint...try SIP with Orange pad 5.5 Power finish white pad 5.5 do IPA wipe down, then use your choice of a good sealant, either Menz Power Lock, Black Fire Wet Diamond, Wolfgang DGPS 3.0 then let that cure, then top off with a premium wax. On black you cant beat Pinnacle Souveran or Fuzion.
    Vision Detailing
    Richmond,KY.40475
    859-623-4435

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell Jarvis View Post
    I agree to a certain extent, but to save you allot of work, if you are looking for excellency in your outcome, my recommendation...Use the Menzerna line...gives you longer work time than Megs....and being a BMW owner 105 &205 are good products but I wanted more clarity and gloss in my paint...try SIP with Orange pad 5.5 Power finish white pad 5.5 do IPA wipe down, then use your choice of a good sealant, either Menz Power Lock, Black Fire Wet Diamond, Wolfgang DGPS 3.0 then let that cure, then top off with a premium wax. On black you cant beat Pinnacle Souveran or Fuzion.
    +1 for WGDGPS.. holds strong and for a long time.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice, I had a 98 M3 Sedan that was a stick. Amazing what only 240hp can do. I had a detailer back then that was awesome so I don't know anything about how hard it is on the paint side.

The leather likes lexol and often to keep it soft. I imagine any of the higher end ones would even work better, just use it monthly to keep the leather in great shape.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell Jarvis View Post

Can you use PO91E vs. SIP as this vehicle would not likely have the ceramic clear coat?

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a few pics that my wife took. She's awesome with a DSLR!

This is my car without any correction so far. Hopefully, I will have my weekends back and can spend time bringing it back to life.