autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Shop? Mobile? Or both?

I'm just curious how many of you detail for a living.

If you do...do you have a shop? mobile? or both?

If you have both, do you have a tough time running both sides of the business?

I have a busy shop right now. I am adding a mobile van in the spring. I usually answer the calls, do all the exteriors (I hire interior guys), and deal with the customers. I'm a little concerned with having a mobile van out there at the same time, may be overwhelming. Thoughts??

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shop? Mobile? Or both?

I was actually going to ask about a shop... so great timing on this post!

The clients I have right now LOVE the fact that Im Mobile and that is one of there main reasons for going with me. I think it would be a great addition to any shop, because the schedules of clients vary so greatly and is sometimes hard for them to leave a car at a shop for 8 hrs. I think it would be a great step forward to meeting the needs of your customers.

What I have been wondering...........

Is the overhead of renting a place worth it? I have seen some wonderful locations near me that rent for 2000 to 3000 a month. I am wondering what a shop can pull revenue wise and then profit wise after expenses and employees. Just don't know if it is worth it?!?!??!

Being mobile has been awesome for me. It eliminates the boundaries of how far a customer is willing to go as well as mentioned before about the time they are willing or able to leave their automobile with you.

I figured if I do take the jump to owning a shop leap that I would offer a pick up or drop off service - that way you can have best of both worlds - eliminating those boundaries and having everything you possibly need at your finger tips.

Important things about being Mobile :

*Even if you think you don't need it, bring it! I have wasted a lot of gas and time because of this before.

* Must adapt to your surroundings : When I go to other company shops, I learn the rules and regs and abide by them - so not to upset my client in any way.

Also, I have had to detail vehicles on grass, gravel, steep grades,etc. Must inform employees of safety precautions - can't assume they already know. Drop a microfiber on gravel - common sense, don't use it......... trust me, not all employees know this! Steep grade, chock equipment - don't let roll down hill to its death! Simple things like these that they are not used to having to practice.

Once again, I know Mobility will be good to add to a shop, but would adding a shop be worth it for a strictly Mobile Business?
    Last edited by Bates Detailing; 01-16-2011 at 02:40 AM. Reason: spelling errors
    Bates Detailing
    Auto * RV * Bus * Boat * Aircraft * UFOs
    http://www.batesdetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

I don't detail full time, but I detail 25-30hrs a week. I don't believe any of our members are in this category, but caution to mobile detailers. Most of my business is from people getting burned or unhappy with the mobile detailers. My clients complain that attention to detail was lost somewhere in the process vs. me picking up their vehicle and giving it my undivided attention. Now I'm not implying that any of our members practice this type of business, because there's a lot of passion here, but giving a little caution.
    I don't want it to look wet, I want it to look Soaked!

Post Thanks / Like

It's going be very hard to run both a store and mobile unless you have a partner that is equally as good or better. So one of you can do mobile while the other person stays in shop and work on exterior.

Are you running the shop by yourself? If you are I would find it very hard to run both unless you can find someone you trust to work on people cars. Its your name on the line not theirs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slickooz View Post
    It's going be very hard to run both a store and mobile unless you have a partner that is equally as good or better.
    I'll invest.

Post Thanks / Like

I detail part time and I don't have an actual shop that I detail out of but I use my garage and house as my shop. I also offer to travel to someone's house. I don't have a mobile set up as of yet.

I think it's a great idea, and I'm assuming you have people working for you that you trust. So, if they are out making money being mobile and you can make money in the shop it's a win win. At least the way that I look at it. It widens you customer base and enables you to get the customers who can't leave their car with you for hours on end.

Post Thanks / Like

You could always reserve the full details for shop only, and have your mobile service for the faster jobs - basic packages. Your shop could very well slow down when regular customers prefer you to come to them, leaving your shop open for the larger projects. Maybe add a $5 fee to go to them - bet they wouldn't mind the additional charge.
    Bates Detailing
    Auto * RV * Bus * Boat * Aircraft * UFOs
    http://www.batesdetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

I am thinking that the paint corrections be done only in the shop and the mobile rig be outfitted for the maintenance of your already detailed customers and wash and wax only. That way the mobile outfit can benefit from a volume of quick work without the worry of an employee creating any buffer damage.

I believe that regardless of their pay scale, nobody will care as much as you do about your image.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kristopher1129 View Post
    I'm just curious how many of you detail for a living.

If you do...do you have a shop? mobile? or both?

If you have both, do you have a tough time running both sides of the business?

I have a busy shop right now. I am adding a mobile van in the spring. I usually answer the calls, do all the exteriors (I hire interior guys), and deal with the customers. I'm a little concerned with having a mobile van out there at the same time, may be overwhelming. Thoughts??
    Renting a Commercial piece of property will wear your bottom line out if your working solo (w/ ocasional helper sometimes/maybe) By the time you pay rent, utilitys, ins. You will need to clear around 2k here a month. Thats before you even eat, much less try to pay a home mortgage and all the cost associated with that. If you have kids, you might as well forget it

If you want to hire 3 or 4 + employees to work wholesale accts to offset the costs, then your problems really begin. "If" you can find goods ones that will not only show up regularly, but also e able to preform "Consistantly" then you are not only responsible for your responsibilities, your responsible for "all" theirs too.

Best thing is to be able to work from your home, and when necesary, work from your clients home.

I could right the manual on this subject

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post
    I don't detail full time, but I detail 25-30hrs a week. I don't believe any of our members are in this category, but caution to mobile detailers. Most of my business is from people getting burned or unhappy with the mobile detailers. My clients complain that attention to detail was lost somewhere in the process vs. me picking up their vehicle and giving it my undivided attention. Now I'm not implying that any of our members practice this type of business, because there's a lot of passion here, but giving a little caution.

Yea, Jimmyjam. I've seen and heard some real doozers out of the parking lot guys around here. I know it doesn't represent all of them, but its easy to get lumped in with tha hack 4 sure
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Wow awesome feedback guys. Thank you. I am in a rush at the moment, and can't respond to everybody. But, I will be back later...after the Pats win of course! I'll answer everyone back. There's some details I'd like to share that may bring some different views. I'll explain what exactly it is I'm doing. Thanks!

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast