autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What to do at a coin-operated wash?

Quote Originally Posted by grambow View Post
    I'm in NE WI so I do this all the time. First, I do it as early in the morning as possible like before 8am. This beats any rush and allows you to wash without feeling too rushed.
    I mix a 5 gal bucket of regular HOT washing solution and bungee it in the back of my X3. I have also put it on the passenger side floor of my C350. Note: the bucket needs a lid!
    I just use the pressure rinse as I don't trust the concentration or wax stripping ability of their pressure wash. Also, it takes too long to clear the lines of the soap when switching from wash to rinse. I like to wash as cheap as possible as winter washing is so temporary. So I rinse everything paying special attention to lower body, wheels and wheel wells. Then I wash with the mit and bucket...I dont use the two bucket method for simplicity and I will be polishing in spring anyway. Sometimes depending on how bad the wheels are, I will bring another bucket and mit for the wheels. Then I rinse again and waffle weave dry...keep these in the front of the car to keep them warm before using.
    That's it...it cant be too cold or the water will freeze before you can dry. I have done it in the low 20s though.
    Also, I have never run into a problem with anyone yelling at me. I have even been there while the attendant was cleaning the other stalls. I think as long as you are in and out (prob about 15-20 mins) and you're not holding anyone up, yer okay. Hope this helps.

Exactly what I do.

I'd like to highlight the point above as I think it's very important. Always go late at night or early in the morning when there is no body waiting. Most owners will not have an issue with you doing a bucket wash as long as you are not holding people up. If you hold people up by hand washing/drying they lose money. The places by me are actually open 24/7 so it's never an issue.

I also do the pressure rinse and then ONR a lot at home too.

Rasky
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Many great ideas in this thread! Washing in winter is something many of us have to do. Bobby's hot water in bucket and lid is the way to go. Wait for a "warm" day, like 20's and up.

I take 3 buckets: hot soap solution, hot clean rinse, and another hot clean rinse just in case. Grit guards in the rinse buckets at least.

Take a wash mitt, a pair of drying towels, some plush mf, some high solvent QD like Dodo Juice Red Mist, and latex/nitrile gloves. Waterproof shoes help as well.

I don't like the coin-ops soap. Not all will be the same, but my local one, I consider to be one of the best I have seen, ripped collinite right off in an instant. Their wheel cleaners and degreasers are very bad as well. Always use the "rinse" or "final rinse" setting.

Rinse off car. Wash. Rinse again. Dry as much as possible but do not worry about streaks yet. Go over with the QD nice and heavy, wipe clear.

It may not be perfect, but I much rather a wash like this than ONR anyday

Local to Southeast Michigan
    Serving Nationwide

Post Thanks / Like

I do a touchless to get the undercarriage too and go home to a warm garage and a warm bucket of ONR.
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

Post Thanks / Like

Keep the car running with the heat on so the doors dont freeze .Ask me how I know this.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again for everyone's advice. I did a power-wash last weekend and it went well. I did not bring anything else with me (ONR) or go home and do anything (ONR) as it was going to snow again in a couple of days. But for $4 at least I got off the salt and crud that was on the car.

I have a follow-up question: anyone have any thoughts as to whether there is any advantage (or disadvantage) to first spraying the car with either opti-clean or QD strength ONR before the power-wash? Would that help get anything off? Or, if I'm not drying the car afterward then I shouldn't use OC or ONR as they are meant to be wiped off, not rinsed off with a power-washer?

Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

IMO OOC would be much more effective after the power wash.
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

Post Thanks / Like

Last year I would go to the wash spray the car then id spray the foam brush real good to get the dirt and salat out of it then proceed to wash the car. This year all I used was the water and it did a great job....problem is every time I washed it at the car wash it was under 32 and then it would ice then it would leave water spots lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12