autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mike Phillips

Re: School of Horrendous!

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    Perhaps we should not look down on someone for doing things incorrectly in this trade.

I am sure each and every one of us has done a "hack" job in some other line of work and someone like us has said the same thing.
    True.

I also covered this topic here,

The story of 3 H's - Horrendous, Horror Story and Hack Detailers...

Excerpt from the above article...

Included in the definition of Hack Detailers are people that either knowingly or unknowingly instill rotary buffer swirls or holograms into a car's paint but do so either unwillingly or because they honestly know not what they do...

Unknowingly
    The reason I state this can be done knowingly or unknowingly is because some products will look great after wipe-off after being applied using a rotary buffer, so in the detailer's mind he thinks he left a swirl free finish. It's after the paint is washed a few times or repeatedly exposed to inclement weather that whatever wax, sealant or glaze was applied begins to wash off exposing the rotary buffer swirls.

Now most of you reading this know that with a little education, the above group of people can be taught proper technique and things like choosing the appropriate pads and products to do good work, but not everyone is a member of a detailing discussion forum and a person only knows what they know. That's why I aways say that the best detailers are detailers that hang out on discussion forums because via discussion forums we're always learning about new products or new approaches...

Believe it or not, there exists people that buff out cars that don't hang out on the Internet let alone a detailing discussion forum.
    Knowingly
    At one point in my life I called on body shops, dealerships and detail shops to conduct product training, during another point in my life I called on these same types of shops to conduct sales and here's the deal... I met plenty of "detailers" and also "Painter's Helpers", that knew they were instilling swirls as a result of their buffing work but there was nothing they could do about it outside of quiting.

In these situations, these are employees provided products and tools by the company and their job is to do the best they can with what they are given. I know for a fact that many of these people knew they were doing hack work and didn't like it but the situation they were in was out of their control.

Sad truth is, most of have had jobs we didn't like but did them out of neccassity... If this hasn't happened to you... count your blessings...
    The above are just two examples of people instilling swirls either knowingly or unknowingly and in these examples they don't really fit the description of "Hack Detailer" as it's usually used on discussion forums in a derogatory manner as their intentions were for good, their circumstances were out of their control.

A real Hack Detailer would be someone that knows they're doing shoddy work and does so anyways... I would say after you filter out everyone that fits into the above two categories, (knowingly or unknowingly), that there are fewer hack detailers in the world then we all think, that is people who knowingly and willingly do horrible work and create horrendous results.

As more and more detailers bring up the level of their skills and abilities, as well as the products, pads and tools they use, the more the work done by hack detailers stands out like a sore thumb.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LegacyGT View Post
    Is this just the result of trying to finish with a wool cutting pad?
    Pretty much. That and using a dirty pad with rocks-n-bottle polish

Using a rotary w/wool is going to induce swirls no matter how good you are. You "can" finish the car off with one, but that requires extra steps. This is what makes you either pro or hack. To get the finish right, it takes time
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Pretty much. That and using a dirty pad with rocks-n-bottle polish

Using a rotary w/wool is going to induce swirls no matter how good you are. You "can" finish the car off with one, but that requires extra steps. This is what makes you either pro or hack. To get the finish right, it takes time
    So finishing up with foam on the rotary or switching to a DA for the final polish would take care of it in most situations

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Seriously...

Do people have to learn how to do such horrendous rotary buffer work?
    That statement for some reason seriously made me LOL for real!! Thanks for the laugh.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you can say for sure that many don't want to learn how not to do that kind of hacking.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LegacyGT View Post
    So finishing up with foam on the rotary or switching to a DA for the final polish would take care of it in most situations
    Uhhh, in a nut shell, YES

I use to use a rotary only, but have found finishing off with a DA provides better results and actually saves a little time. I will use an orange pad w/105 to remove any swirls the rotary may have induced, then hit it with a black pad w/205. If you really want that super slick look, top it with 85rd with either a black or white pad. I think they make a red finishing pad to, but I've never used it

Is this the new flex rotary you've taken delievery of? Your going to love your new machine
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12