autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: ~$350 Steamer

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

~$350 Steamer

Anyone have any recommendations for a steamer at around the $350 mark? Was thinking about the Wagner 905, but I can afford to shell out a few more Benjamins to get something with a little more pop and better accessories. I just cant afford a vx5000 or something like that. Anyone have something they use and would recommend?

Super Member Joe@Superior Shine's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: ~$350 Steamer

The absolute min. you want to go with a steamer is a VX5000. Save your $$$ for one or look for one (or a bigger unit) used on eBay, craigslist, etc...

Post Thanks / Like

I hear you Anderson. I want a steamer too and I keep looking at the ones sold here at AG. This detail thing is just a hobby for me but as word gets around, I have people at work wanting me to do work for them. One of the customers wants a full interior detail but I don't have a steamer and can't justify one for myself.
    Keep us posted on what you find. I'm interested in what you think of a lower end steamer. However, I do believe you get what you pay for and when it comes to tools, I especially believe this.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Wagner, and honestly I think it will likely see more use around the house than it will for detailing. It does the job, it just spits out way too much water for my liking and not enough PSI for car detailing IMO.

It doesn't seem to save me any time and its one more piece of equipment to lug around.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I recommend that you look at a McClulgh steamer from Harbor Freight tools. It is only about 129 and holds 64 oz of water. I currently use one because I to cannot swing for a $500 plus unit. (That is the way to go).
    It is a little slow but works sooooo much better when cleaning an interior. You cant get in the cracks and crevices without a steamer and I use less chemicals.. To be sure, if it is really nasty, scrub first with cleaner and brush then follow with the steam and watch how much you miss.
    This is the best low price option out there.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want a serious steamer, you are looking around $600+ to start

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Superior Shine on this one. If you have patience just keep scanning eBay, craigslist etc. You can find ridiculous deals on used equipment. Even better deals if you are able to go and pick the stuff up.

Tim

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been looking for a used one for a little while, but it doesnt seem like there are too many people getting rid of them. I dont run a detail shop, just a detail enthusiast who does some other details on the side, so it wouldnt be prudent to purchase a new one.

Has anyone used the Vapor Clean II? It seems to have good stats and accessories, and is around $375. Thats more in my ballpark.