autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Applying Tire Dressing

Hey guys, I have a question about applying tire dressing. I have a bottle of Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel. I'm just looking for general tips in how to best apply it. I have a foam applicator I've been using with it for a while, but it never seems to look as good as the picture I see on here. Any tips/tricks would be appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Applying Tire Dressing

I dilute it 1:1 in a spray bottle and apply it that way. Clean the tire really well, apply 1 coat let that sit for about an hour, then apply another coat. It will look really nice for a sustained amount of time. If your have an air compressor and a spray gun that is the best way, uses very little product and looks killer after just one application.

2 coats after a week of driving about 185 miles

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't had much luck with Opti-Bond myself. However the best way I have found to apply any tire dressing is to spray it on a foam paint brush then "paint" it on the tires. You use less product, and it doesn't drip all over the place.

Post Thanks / Like

After a thorough cleaning... I apply a little at a time to my tire swipe and apply directly to wheel. The only thing that could look a little better is around the lettering I don't get it quite as perfect as I would like. The next day I usually take a paper towel and correct any excess in the lettering.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AeroCleanse View Post
    However the best way I have found to apply any tire dressing is to spray it on a foam paint brush then "paint" it on the tires. You use less product, and it doesn't drip all over the place.
    This is how I apply all my tire dressings. Those little foam paint brushes aren't very expensive and last through 20-30 or so applications for me.
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Cobra Flex Foam applicators, for all my tire dressings. From Spray's to gel's. Allows for a nice uniform coverage. Apply the product to the applicator and then run the applicator around the tire, spreading the product.

I find Opti-Bond works well when applied to clean tires (prior dressings removed).

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies everyone! Where can I get these foam paint brushes you guys are talking about? I looked on Autogeek but couldn't find them. Also what do you guys think is the best product for cleaning the tires before dressing? I always clean them first, but probably not well enough. Is an APC okay for that? I'm about to buy a big gallon or something of an APC, they look useful. I'm still pretty new to detailing.

Perfections, that looks awesome for a week of driving!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rott3np3anut View Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone! Where can I get these foam paint brushes you guys are talking about?
    I got mine from the local Truevalue hardware store, in the paint area. I'm pretty sure most home improvement places that sell paint would have them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rott3np3anut View Post
    Where can I get these foam paint brushes you guys are talking about? I looked on Autogeek but couldn't find them.

Also what do you guys think is the best product for cleaning the tires before dressing? I always clean them first, but probably not well enough. Is an APC okay for that? I'm about to buy a big gallon or something of an APC, they look useful.
    WalMart has the foam brushes (in the paint area as well) for a buck,different sizes (width's).

APC is good for scrubbing down and cleaning tire's.
    Team Flex PE14-2 150(Serial#0005)/3401/3403/XFE 7-15

Post Thanks / Like

Alright thanks so much everyone! I'll be placing an order soon to get some APC and other supplies, then ill head to Walmart for the brushes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast