autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What interior dressings are silicone-based?

I was reviewing the AG interior cleaning how-to's and noted that silicone-based interior dressings should be avoided as they may cause longer term problems such as yellowing.

So what interior products on the market are silicone-based including both AG and non-AG available dressings?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What interior dressings are silicone-based?

Auto Magic makes a couple of products that fit that bill: No. 61 Xtreme Dress-It (which is the thickest of the three), No. 62 Universal Dressing, and No. 65 Super Dress-It. According to their website, all three are water-based silicone dressings that can be used for both interior and exterior.

Ardex makes a product called Speedy Brightener that is "a solvent based, silicone and polymer mixture" for tires and interiors.

Not sure how a product can be a water-based silicone dressing, as I thought water and silicone didn't mix, but I don't know. I just know that none of these would be going on my interior.
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Post Thanks / Like

Title Edit: What silicone-based interior dressings should be avoided?

Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Auto Magic makes a couple of products that fit that bill: No. 61 Xtreme Dress-It (which is the thickest of the three), No. 62 Universal Dressing, and No. 65 Super Dress-It. According to their website, all three are water-based silicone dressings that can be used for both interior and exterior.

Ardex makes a product called Speedy Brightener that is "a solvent based, silicone and polymer mixture" for tires and interiors.

Not sure how a product can be a water-based silicone dressing, as I thought water and silicone didn't mix, but I don't know. I just know that none of these would be going on my interior.
    Hey Shane, Thanks for the followup!

Maybe the title was misworded, so I'm trying to edit the title. The Wolfgang interior detailing "how-to" recommended against using silicone-based dressings.

If we're supposed to avoid silicone based interior dressings, what interior dressings should we avoid? This could be an interesting discussion.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Title Edit: What silicone-based interior dressings should be avoided?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt_s View Post
    If we're supposed to avoid silicone based interior dressings, what interior dressings should we avoid?
    Huh? Are you sure that sentence is worded right, because it doesn't make any sense to me.
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Post Thanks / Like

Water based silicone dressings refers in a lot of cases to a silicone based polymer that is water soluble. Polydimethylsiloxane comes to mind. A lot of companies use this polymer as a protectant and through proper emulsion it can be soluble in water with no negative side effects.
    Jon Miles

Post Thanks / Like

i would go with optimum interior dressing. or cockpit by einzett.
    names tom i live in nj with my wife cindy .and our 3 children. samantha gabriella and little tom...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Title Edit: What silicone-based interior dressings should be avoided?

Huh? Are you sure that sentence is worded right, because it doesn't make any sense to me.
    I'll try again. What interior dressings should we avoid per the warning below from the AutoGeek Website?

Warning! Avoid silicone-based protectants. Silicone leaves an oily residue and it attracts dust. Over time, it can turn your dashboard yellow. Stick to water-based protectants and you’ll never have to worry about a greasy, yellow interior.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trhland View Post
    i would go with optimum interior dressing. or cockpit by einzett.
    Thanks Tom!

I'm not enamored with OPP as it doesn't apply as evenly as other dressings and finishes a bit flat to me. I haven't tried the Einzett products yet, but I've seen that many senior members like it. I'm thinking about the Ultima interior product too.

Below is the warning that I thought deserving of discussion.

Warning! Avoid silicone-based protectants. Silicone leaves an oily residue and it attracts dust. Over time, it can turn your dashboard yellow. Stick to water-based protectants and you’ll never have to worry about a greasy, yellow interior.

I Googled silicone-based interior dressings before starting this thread. 303AP and Pinnacle's vinyl and rubber lotion were two products noted as being silicone-based interior dressings that were water-based but supposedly safe in one older thread.

I was thinking that many vinyl and rubber products might include silicone and wondered which ones should be avoided.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trhland View Post
    or cockpit by einzett.
    That's not a dressing.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt_s View Post
    Thanks Tom!

I'm not enamored with OPP as it doesn't apply as evenly as other dressings and finishes a bit flat to me.
    I agree about OPP.

While UIGP does apply evenly, it's definitely got a low gloss matte finish to it. Not sure if you would like it...
    '03 Corvette Z06

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast