autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Foam guns...really worth the extra step?

I've been taking care of cars for many years, and I've learned and enjoyed adapting to new products and technologies. Having said that, I'm still not really convinced that using a foam gun is really worth the fuss. I say this because I carefully look at my car during the wash process:

1) Rinse off lose dirt with fireman's hose set to high velocity
    2) Foam gun (Megs Ultimate wash/wax...(conventional-NOT high pressure)
    3) Two bucket wash (Megs Ultimate wsh/wax)
    4) dry completely

...and I am finding that if I skip step #2 (foam gun)...I get just as good a wash with NO evidence that any more "stuff" is removed from the foam process. Foaming, in theory, is supposed to "lift" first from the paint. That may be true...but my point is that a two-bucket wash "lifts" the dirt just as much....and in fact when using a rinseless wash...I see just as much dirt being lifted off the paint...without any pre-rinsing or foam step at all.

I'm beginning to think that the foam process (in theory) makes the possibility of damaging your paint less than if you didn't use it...but I'm not seeing any evidence of that with my own experience over many, many washes.

Also, using a foam gun adds a much bigger cost to washing the car, especially if you follow up with the two-step wash process. I know a bit about math and mixing chemicals...to use a foam gun with car wash soaps that require a 1oz-1 gallon ratio...you need 8 oz of soap in the foam gun (8oz soap + 24 oz water in a typical 32oz foam gun reservoir...on a setting of "c" on the foam gun). I use the Gilmour Foamaster II. You're not done...if you follow up with the 2-bucket wash, you need more soap....say you are mixing 4 gallons in your 5 gallon pail...you need another 4oz soap (1oz/gal)...so you could end up using 12 oz soap for one car wash, assuming you use the entire 32oz of soap/water in the foam gun reservoir + following it up with 2 bucket wash.

Many will argue that I'm crazy with the math..."you don't need 8 oz of soap in the foam gun"...or you ought to use another soap like DP...but I know I'm right. To dispense 1oz/gal...on a setting of "c" on the foam gun...you need 8oz soap and 24oz water in the 32oz foam gun reservoir. I challenge others to do the math. Yes, there are other settings on the foam gun...but settings "a" and "b" are useless.

Now keep in mind for those that still think I'm putting too much soap in the foam gun...if I can't see any evidence that the foaming process actually produces a better result at the ratio that I am blasting on the car...then using far less soap is only going to make my results even less effective.

I think frankly that I'm coming to the conclusion that the use of a foam gun is not only a lot more costly, and adds more time to the washing cycle...but I see no evidence that it protects my paint any more (or less) during the wash process... than if I eliminate it altogether...or use a rinseless wash. I'm really more impressed with the rinseless wash products....talk about lubrication and lifting dirt...wow.

It's a cool tool...and it "looks" like its doing something special...but I'm not convinced its worth the hassle. I haven't used a foam gun in months, and I don't miss it at all...and the car looks fantastic.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Foam guns...really worth the extra step?

I posted my opinion on this a while ago.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...tml#post349426

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

I use 1 oz. in my "foam gun". I don't use it all the time because sometimes I'm lazy to set it up. What I notice is an increase in slickness after soaking the mitt in the soap bucket and wiping my car. I love it, but obviously I don't feel it's essential or else I'd be using it with every wash. And for that matter, I only use one bucket with the soapy solution and two grit guards. I'm very satisfied with my washing technique, however terrible it may be.
    Enrique - Amateur Detailer Extraordinaire
    "Man is an emotional animal, occasionally rational; and through his feelings he can be deceived to his heart's content." - Durant

Post Thanks / Like

I have used my foam gun almost exclusively for the past two years. I prefer the presoak first as it seems to loosen dirt and avoid some scratching. I believe in allowing the soap to start working and any emulisifiers to get to work before touching.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Why use a bucket?
    Rinse car
    Spray one section at at time with foam gun, also spray mitt with foam gun.
    Wash with mitt
    rinse car and mitt
    repeat above for remaining sections
    dry with leaf blower

I use bucket of soapy water only to wash wheels and exhaust (GHL stainless)

Post Thanks / Like

I have have not seen any benefit in using a foam gun other than wasting car wash.I parked my gun about three years ago and I use a ton less car wash.I really think the presoak phase does nothing and is a waste of money.Just my 2cents.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that it does help, but not enough to worry about if you don't have one already. I think that most car companies encourage it in order to sell more products, because the more soap you use, the more you have to buy. Do I use one? Yes I do. But I only use 3 oz of soap in it. 3 oz. of soap gets the job done.

Post Thanks / Like

Any of you guys want to sell one of your Foam guns?

Post Thanks / Like

Most of time I use it with apc to strip wax. For me, it's "cool" and "fun". It also happens to be pretty impresive to some clients.
    Luxury Mobile Auto Detailing
    Pensacola & Orlando

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blackz View Post
    Most of time I use it with apc to strip wax. For me, it's "cool" and "fun". It also happens to be pretty impresive to some clients.
    exactly, they see that and its different then what they can do in their driveway so they automatically get an good impression.