autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Winter/salt protection

I tried 845 yesterday for the first time and thought it was great. Picked up some tips here and other forums. Heated it with warm water and shook it like crazy. Also used the orbital to apply with a finish pad. Removal with a MF bonnet. Went on and came off easy...no white marks on trim, etc. Followed up with Optimum Optiseal tonight. Nice, warm, smooth shine. Will repeat the process this weekend. Really happy with 845 and all Optimum products. Good luck!
    Tony Z

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swcarter View Post
    I tried 845 yesterday for the first time and thought it was great. Picked up some tips here and other forums. Heated it with warm water and shook it like crazy. Also used the orbital to apply with a finish pad. Removal with a MF bonnet. Went on and came off easy...no white marks on trim, etc. Followed up with Optimum Optiseal tonight. Nice, warm, smooth shine. Will repeat the process this weekend. Really happy with 845 and all Optimum products. Good luck!

Shoulda used Optiseal first then 845 on top!

Post Thanks / Like

I use 845 for all my winter protection!! easy on and off plus A++ in durability.
    Mike
    M.R. Detail Shop
    Car Detailing on Long Island

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swcarter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    Shoulda used Optiseal first then 845 on top!
    According to Dr.G, "If there is any wax on the surface, Opti-Seal will dissolve it and the polymers will go to the surface and the wax will migrate to the top. This is due to the difference in the surface tension of wax and sealant."

I personally use opti seal first, but have heard that some use the optiseal as maintenance between washes or as described above.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by agstacker View Post
    According to Dr.G, "If there is any wax on the surface, Opti-Seal will dissolve it and the polymers will go to the surface and the wax will migrate to the top. This is due to the difference in the surface tension of wax and sealant."

I personally use opti seal first, but have heard that some use the optiseal as maintenance between washes or as described above.

Not sure I trust ur great migration theory! Y not Opti-seal then 845 and skip the dissolving and migration process! Just pointing out whats logical here......or am I wrong????

Post Thanks / Like

I applied 2 coats of Power-Loc followed by 2 coats of 845 which may grow by one or two more coats if the weather stays as nice as its been the past few days up here in NJ.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just ordered the 845 Thanks for all the replies

Post Thanks / Like

These suggestions should give you a good handle on paint. But what about the undercairrage?

Is there a spray on wax that can easily be sprayed on at home. Then pressure washed off with all the salt and crud residue when the spring comes? Or some other type of preservative that will last through a winter.

I"m not asking for myself since I live in Los Angeles, but I would like to hear other peoples opinions on protecting what's underneath.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrflake View Post
    I applied 2 coats of Power-Loc followed by 2 coats of 845 which may grow by one or two more coats if the weather stays as nice as its been the past few days up here in NJ.
    The weather was so nice in Mass this past weekend I added another coat of Collinite 845 myself....

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget your new nano coatings such as Gtechniq, Cquartz and Opti Coat. OC is harder to get but the other 2 are readily available. They are the future of paint coatings IMO. I keep saying AG needs to carry the CQ line. They have some amazing products, not just the CQ.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast