autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Sealant question

What exactly does a sealant (e.g. Zaino CS) do?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sealant question

I was confused about this when I first started detailing, too. The link below explains it well.
    Carnauba Car Wax vs. Paint Sealants, carnauba wax reviews, paint sealant reviews

Zaino CS is a particular type of sealant that doesn't require buffing off. There are others like this such as Ultima Paint Guard Plus and Optimum Opti-Seal.

Post Thanks / Like

Great read, thanks for the link. Let me go deeper into this: when I apply either a natural wax or synthetic protectant to a car, it is protected by the product itself. Yes? Adding a coat of Opti-Seal or Zaino CS does what then?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 20ducks View Post
    Great read, thanks for the link. Let me go deeper into this: when I apply either a natural wax or synthetic protectant to a car, it is protected by the product itself. Yes? Adding a coat of Opti-Seal or Zaino CS does what then?
    I'm confused about your question. You seem to answer your own question, and then you ask it again.

In general, a sealant and a wax have the same function -- they protect the paint. But, a wax is made from a natural product and a sealant is a "synthetic protectant". There are hybrid products, but in general, a sealant is a synthetic wax.

Here is another article that you might find informative:
    Sacrificial Barrier Coating = The purpose of a wax or synthetic paint sealant

Now, if you are asking why some people put a wax over a sealant, it is because they perfer the look of a wax, but want the durability of the sealant. So, the solution is to first use a sealant for long lasting protection, then layer a wax on top of the sealant to get that waxed look.

Does that answer your question?
    Last edited by Niele; 11-12-2010 at 10:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Niele View Post
    I'm confused about your question. You seem to answer your own question, and then you ask it again.

In general, a sealant and a wax have the same function -- they protect the paint. But, a wax is made from a natural product and a sealant is a "synthetic protectant". There are hybrid products, but in general, a sealant is a synthetic wax.

Here is another article that you might find informative:
    Sacrificial Barrier Coating = The purpose of a wax or synthetic paint sealant

Now, if you are asking why some people put a wax over a sealant, it is because they perfer the look of a wax, but want the durability of the sealant. So, the solution is to first use a sealant for long lasting protection, then layer a wax on top of the sealant to get that waxed look.

Does that answer your question?
    I'd agree with this, nice definition!

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

The newer WOWA sealants (Zaino CS, Optiseal, Ultima) are synthetic products meant to protect paint temporarily like a wax. They dont require any real buffing but some care must be used to apply quite sparingly.

Scott