autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Detailing 101 Report

I feel like I just passed my first test in Modern Detailing 101. Last week I washed the car (09 BMW 528 in space gray metallic) and applied/buffed Wolfgang Deep Gloss paint Sealant 3.0. Today I washed the car and used new Flex 3401 with red LC pad to apply Pinnacle Signature Series II carnauba wax. Then used Flex to buff wax with micro fiber bonnet over wool pad. Last, I wiped the car lightly with microfiber cloth to remove wool fluff and get any spots missed by the orbital buffer. Had no obvious problems or catastrophes and the car looks GREAT!!! The car finish might now be described as "space gray mirror". I literally could read the printing (backwards) from Flex owners booklet reflected in the car finish when job was completed. The car not only looks great but the job was made easier in my opinion by the power orbital polisher and the easy application/removal of paint sealant and wax used. Reduced effort level is important to me as a septuagenarian. Don't have the energy now that I enjoyed as a young man.

Two points:
    1. I applied SSII to complete car before buffing because I wanted to use the 3401 to buff and didn't want to change pads every few minutes. Next time I may try hand wiping so I can wipe each section immediately after application.

2. I used both sides of the fiber bonnet to buff but got LOTS of wool fluff when the bonnet was reversed on wool pad. Was this just because the wool pad was new? If not, I won't reverse bonnet next time to avoid the wool fluff on car finish.

Now if I can get the inside windshield cleaned and dash dusted, the car will look like it just came off the assembly line. Thanks to all who replied to my earlier posts with suggestions and information on the new products and techniques. You were a big help!

LHB

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing 101 Report

I'd say that most of the wool fluff is because it's a new wool pad. Try washing the pad first to get rid of any loose fibers.