autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

$ How much to remove clear bra $

Hey guys,

I'm have a customer that wants a clear bra taken off. I learned how to do it but don't know what to charge. Any suggestions?
    Kelly Davis
    Maximum Mobile Detailing
    www.maximummd.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: $ How much to remove clear bra $

How long do you think it will take you?, when you estimate a job, what do you base your time at?

Post Thanks / Like

Removing a bra can be a real pain. Has to be done warm, either in sunlight or with a hair dryer. Then you'll need 3M Adhesive remover to get off the left over adhesive. Then a full correction.
    John
    Mean people suck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jpegs13 View Post
    Removing a bra can be a real pain. Has to be done warm, either in sunlight or with a hair dryer. Then you'll need 3M Adhesive remover to get off the left over adhesive. Then a full correction.

Why does it have to be done warm?

This is my method, I don't use steam, sunlight or a hair dryer. Just the way it comes into the shop.

Removing them is really easy. Lift at one corner and start pulling towards your body, away from the car. That way the adhesive stays on the backing, instead of on the car. Pull every piece off this way, do not fold it over and try pulling over the 3M.

This is tough to explain in words.

But you can have an entire Hood/Fender/Mirror kit and Bumper kit off in 5 minutes. Then if you see any remaining adhesive, take a lint free rag, not a microfiber, pour a cap full of solvent on to the rag and gently wipe over the adhesive until it's gone.

Then rinse the area with a water bottle or quick detailer.

I charge $50 for removal on a HFMB

If they're concerned about the line between fresh paint where the 3M previously was and the old haggared paint around it, now is the time to upsell a cut and polish service and 3M re-application at your regular rate

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chatelaine View Post
    Why does it have to be done warm?

This is my method, I don't use steam, sunlight or a hair dryer. Just the way it comes into the shop.

Removing them is really easy. Lift at one corner and start pulling towards your body, away from the car. That way the adhesive stays on the backing, instead of on the car. Pull every piece off this way, do not fold it over and try pulling over the 3M.

This is tough to explain in words.

But you can have an entire Hood/Fender/Mirror kit and Bumper kit off in 5 minutes. Then if you see any remaining adhesive, take a lint free rag, not a microfiber, pour a cap full of solvent on to the rag and gently wipe over the adhesive until it's gone.

Then rinse the area with a water bottle or quick detailer.

I charge $50 for removal on a HFMB

If they're concerned about the line between fresh paint where the 3M previously was and the old haggared paint around it, now is the time to upsell a cut and polish service and 3M re-application at your regular rate
    Have you removed clear film on several cars? I've only had one car where it came off like you describe and I chalk that one up to poor installation.

To the OP, I would actually turn down the job if I were you. I'll probably never do another one again.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

I do them every day. Most of my work is 3M install and removal. Maybe I can take a video and show you how haha

Super duper easy.

Post Thanks / Like

I do them every day. Most of my work is 3M install and removal. Maybe I can take a video and show you how haha

Super duper easy.
    I've always been left with adhesive on the majority of panel. I'll have to give it a try without heating it up I guess but even the installer that applied the film suggested heating it up or leaving it in the sun.

Tons on videos on Youtube already BTW.

Cheers,
    Rasky
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?

Post Thanks / Like

If you pull it the wrong way you'll get the adhesive stuck to the car. Change your technique and I'd bet you'll notice better results.

Post Thanks / Like

If you pull it the wrong way you'll get the adhesive stuck to the car. Change your technique and I'd bet you'll notice better results.
    I'll give it a shot one of these days as I still have the hood piece on my car to remove....it took forever to get the adhesive off on the other panels.

Post Thanks / Like

The clear bras should be designed in such a way for easy removal. I've personally never done one nor seen it applied/removed nor had it on any of my cars, but I would assume there is a simple way to lift as much of the bra as possible, not necessarily at once of course, without issue. And for pricing, $50 seams reasonable.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52ZDR7SCFFE&NR=1]YouTube - 3M film removal[/video]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast