autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Using the Makita 9227C

I just got my Makita 9227C, with the Advanced Curved 8.5 inch CCS Foam Pad Kit. I noticed when using the machine it’s very hard to control. It wants to jump all over the place. How do I prevent this from happening?

Thanks.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Using the Makita 9227C

Might be due to either the compound / polish that u used, or maybe because the pads is too large. Previously when I 1st tried using the Makita, it was super - easy with 6 inch or was it 6.5 inch pads and M85.

[ wow that was quite some time ago! ]

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by poyo View Post
    Might be due to either the compound / polish that u used, or maybe because the pads is too large. Previously when I 1st tried using the Makita, it was super - easy with 6 inch or was it 6.5 inch pads and M85.

[ wow that was quite some time ago! ]
    I used Meg's 105, if that helps any. If the pads might be too large, I wonder why AG would sell them with the Makita?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Like I said earlier, it's only maybe, plus my experience with the Makita was very short and we were using it with a 6 inch Meg pad or was 6.5, i can't recall.

I see in the forum that the M105 works very fast. Maybe u can try priming the pad, reduce your working area, and reduce the number of passes as well.

I suggest you go to the nearest scrapyard and buy the cheapest bonnet u can find, and practice with the junk item 1st. that's what we did moons ago lolz.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never been a fan of large pads and I've been doing this for 35 years. I use 6 1/2" Lake Country Kompressor pads on mine with zero problems.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with bobby, I am not a fan of the larger pads. I bought the megs w66 bp (Dana reccomended it) for my 6.5 pads and the HD 5in bp for my 5.5 pads. I have the 3m foam backing pad on its way too from great brit. I say all that to say I like using smaller pads MUCH better. It is easier to control and maneuver, thus making it easier for me to finish down the best I can

Jon
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
    Jon Leidgen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    I've never been a fan of large pads and I've been doing this for 35 years. I use 6 1/2" Lake Country Kompressor pads on mine with zero problems.
    I have the 6" LC Kompressor pads (Love Em').Do they offer 6 1/2" as well.I don't see them listed AG store?
    Team Flex PE14-2 150(Serial#0005)/3401/3403/XFE 7-15

Post Thanks / Like

I bought my Makita with the 8" Edge 2K pads and had the same problem. I switched out to the 6" Edge 2K pads until I got good with the rotary. Now that I have a lot more experience with the rotary the large pads are a lot easier to handle but I still prefer the 6 to 7 inch pad sizes with the rotary. If I am working on a 70's Coupe Deville I break out the big pads.

I found that my grip was way too tight, essentially I was trying to man handle the machine instead of simply guiding the machine. Once I learned to loosen up my grip things got a lot better.

I started to experiment with "slightly" tilting the pad at different clock positions in relationship to the machine and found that there is a sweet spot that will change with each panel being polished. Being ambidextrously challenged sometimes I can be seen bent over nearly up side down to find and maintain that sweet spot on the lower panels of the car.

I think that the learning curve is pretty much finding and maintaining that sweet spot and obtaining the right amount of grip strength. Keep practicing, use lots of tape and go slow.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies folks. Maybe I can exchange the pads for the smaller ones. I'll give AG a call on Monday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Palani View Post
    I just got my Makita 9227C, with the Advanced Curved 8.5 inch CCS Foam Pad Kit. I noticed when using the machine it’s very hard to control. It wants to jump all over the place. How do I prevent this from happening?

Thanks.
    Practice.