autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry Why is nothing working?!

I own the products listed:

• Malco Buff-Lite II (From local detail shop) (compound)
    • P&S Ultracoat Polish (Same)
    • Megiaurs Swirl-X 2.0
    • Microfiber clothes and applicator pads for each

I have quite a few swirl marks, definitely noticeable from a few yards away. It's a black truck. I also have some hail damage and deeper scratches and chips (Will have that taken care of later). For now I am trying to do-it-myself by hand, I didn't think the swirl marks would be that hard to remove, but they are. I don't want to spend $150+ on porter cable, pads, and the appropriate polishes because I could get the thing fully detailed and just keep up with it occasionally by hand after that for that price.

I feel as though I am using these products wrong, I would love to get this out by hand, like I said, but not for the cost of a detail job from a professional! I put the Swirl-X on today (newest product in hopes of a noticeable success), buffed a generous amount in for about a minute making a few sectional passes with medium pressure on a wool-type applicator pad, then let it haze for a minute, and wipe off with a microfiber towel. Even used the Ultracoat Polish with a microfiber after that to see if that brought the shine back out! Nothing... Though it does look a little more lust, still swirls.. What am I not doing?

*Will try to get pictures tomorrow, camera phone so don't expect a highly justifiable picture.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why is nothing working?!

A few things come to mind here.
    1. Malco and S&P are marketed towards dealership detailers to be used with high speed polisher and wool pads so those products are likely not going to yield good results by hand.

2. You mention putting medium pressure on the applicator for about one minute. It will take a lot more than medium pressure and a lot more than 1 minute to achieve half decent results working by hand.

3. If you're going to do this by hand you might want to look into cotton terry applicators as they will have much more bite than a wool or microfiber applicator but trying this on a black truck will be very difficult if not impossible to get a swirl free finish by hand.

4. On a professional level, $150 will get you a cover up detail and not a paint correction. I don't know how your local market looks but to get a paint correction on a black truck you can expect to spend twice that much unless you have a 4 door dually in which you could add a few hundred to the total.

I may be totally off base here as your local economy may be very different than where I am but I have a feeling you haven't called around to professional detailers explaining that you want a paint correction and not a glaze over job.

Most people think detailing is easy, that is until they try it themselves. The PC kit is your best bet if you can't stand looking at your swirled up truck. Good luck and hold out here for more replies as I may stand to be corrected.

Post Thanks / Like

To Autogeek!

It sounds like you relatively new to detailing. Detailing done right can be and is initially expensive. You'll discover that it's much more than picking up a few items at a local auto parts store. Once you understand what's necessary to perform a quality job then it'll all make sense.

It sounds as if you have some serious paint correction ahead of you. This said I would recommend against doing it by hand.

The cost of a complete paint correction can and does vary. To do a job correctly with a machine, can take you a full 8 hours of labor intensive effort. If you start looking around here and locally you'll understand what I mean.

Spend some time reading and learning here as Autogeek offers all the products you'll need to make the finish on your car glow.

There's some great reading that will give you a look inside the world of detailing.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-phillips.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...llips-2-a.html

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the, tuscarora dave. It looks as though I might need to consider a Porter Cable Kit. I have called a couple places, including the dealer I purchased the truck from (It was completely flawless when I bought it from him! It stayed that way a few washes later till I finally started realizing you need special products to wash a car properly (idiot I was, now I am educated)), and a little shop across the street where I work. The guy across the street is very nice and experienced, I've seen new and old, expensive to crummy cars go through his lot (Porsche, corvette, and such come to mind). He quoted me about $200 cash to get it buffed out and what not, then the dealer said just over $200 I believe.

So if they can do a paint correction then I wouldn't think it'd sound too bad for that price.

Thanks for those articles, BobbyG, I actually found those last night and read one where the guy did it by hand with foam pads and meguiars products and it worked perfect minus the amount of time invested in one section. His swirls looked just as bad as mine too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tdiggs14 View Post
    I have called a couple places, including the dealer I purchased the truck from (It was completely flawless when I bought it from him! It stayed that way a few washes later till I finally started realizing you need special products to wash a car properly (idiot I was, now I am educated)),
    First off, to the forum.

Don't be too sure that your vehicle was Flawless when you got it. Many dealers load up the finish with glazes that wash out quickly .... leaving the finish as it always was underneath.

Learning some basic detailing options such as the two bucket method and using some quality tools will go a long way.

When I first started, I was sure I could outwork anyone and do my cars by hand. It can't be done effectively without a HUGE amount of work, especially on a black vehicle.

Guess what? it's a lot of work even with a DA or rotary. But the payoff is worth it.

Read some articles, ask questions (this forum is great for getting answers) and don't be afraid to try something new.

Spend the money that you would on a decent detail for some tools and products and you will catch the bug like the rest of us.
    2016 Porsche Boxster Black Edition 6MT Sports Suspension
    2013 BMW 228i Alpine White Jon

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks mchess1! I might consider purchasing the products. If it really is hard to mess up the paint (or clear coat) with an orbital buffer like the Porter Cable 7424 then I might invest in the kit for $200 and get a few other products and continue to ask questions until I am confident enough to do it on my own. Then again I might do the PC in the future and get my truck fixed now, I have confidence in my detail man. I can't stand looking at it, I also don't have much time while going to college and holding a full-time job.

Post Thanks / Like