autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Benefits of taping, polishing around edges

What is the purpose of taping off the emblems, trim, and seams between panels of a car. Won't this leave noticeable sections that are not polished?

Also what techniques are used to polish around panels which have creases or raised edges? Also how do you avoid noticeable spots which have not been polished?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Benefits of taping, polishing around edges

The purpose of taping off edges for a few reasons:

1) Keeps the gaps from building up product which can be very difficult to remove
    2) Panel edges typically have a much thinner clear coat and are at a much higher risk for burn through.

Same goes for emblems and trim. Makes clean up much easier. And after you wipe everything down once you remove the tape you can't tell where the lines are. And if you tape well, you can get the tape almost to the edge and the line is basically invisible.

You just need to be careful on creases or raised edges. Depending on the type of machine your using then usually it's not too much of an issue. Just something to pay attention to, you don't want to spend too much time or too much pressure on those sections.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cincibcat9 View Post
    What is the purpose of taping off the emblems, trim, and seams between panels of a car. Won't this leave noticeable sections that are not polished?

Also what techniques are used to polish around panels which have creases or raised edges? Also how do you avoid noticeable spots which have not been polished?
    Several reasons for taping off..........avoid getting polish on any Trim, weather Stripping (which is very hard to get off once dried) emblems, avoids getting in hard to dig out of areas, Taping around doors and trunk area prevents dust getting in door jams.
    Vision Detailing
    Richmond,KY.40475
    859-623-4435

Post Thanks / Like

Are there any videos about working on creases or raised edges? Anyone willing to make one?

Post Thanks / Like

So I'm curious, after reading reading SeaJay's & Wendell's response, what areas of a car/truck do you typically tape off? Or, is someone doing a car/truck that is taped that they can post a picture?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SATracker View Post
    So I'm curious, after reading reading SeaJay's & Wendell's response, what areas of a car/truck do you typically tape off? Or, is someone doing a car/truck that is taped that they can post a picture?

I don't have any pics available right now. But basically I tape up all panel gaps, emblems, and rubber/plastic trim that I could get polish on or that I will be getting close to with my DA.

I also have a old sheet that I use to cover up tires or the windshield (depending on where I'm working to ensure that if I get any splatter that it's on the sheet and not on my tire or windows.

It may seem like a lot of work, but in the end it can really save you time in the clean up process.

Post Thanks / Like

i have some vinyl tire covers with a built in metal ring that fit over the tires. i can clean and dress them right after washing and know that when i am done with all the polish/ and waxing they will still be perfect. a great great product. also keeps my mf towels and applicatiors from brushing against tires
    Last edited by daveinsweethome; 10-12-2010 at 09:14 AM. Reason: added benefit

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by daveinsweethome View Post
    i have some vinyl tire covers with a built in metal ring that fit over the tires. i can clean and dress them right after washing and know that when i am done with all the polish/ and waxing they will still be perfect. a great great product.

Yeah I've been looking at some of those and just figured right now the sheet works. I'm sure when I get more business doing paint correction it will help cut down on my time. But for now it's a sheet! lol

Post Thanks / Like

I do most of my correction work with a rotary, and we all know how a slight lapse of attention can come back to bite you. I've used automotive vinyl striping tape, 1/8" or 1/4" wide to cover a sharp crease, peak or edge. Applied on a clean surface, it will stick well enough to resist rotary action and pulls off easily when done.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

If you'll take a look at this thread http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...99-bmw-m3.html by RaskyR1 you'll see how he taped off the easily damaged areas and panel gaps that his pads could get into and cause damage. I suggest to anyone at any skill level to study this guys threads. I have learned so much by reading RaskyR1's threads and other highly skilled detailers like him.

They say if you want to succeed, hang out with the winners. RaskyR1 is among the best there is and he consistently shares his skill with photos and thorough writeups too. There are many others that do too but he is just the one I have learned the most from. Hope this helps, TD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast