autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

How can you tell the difference with Polishes?

I was just wondering what the difference was between a "good" polish and a "bad" polish is.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How can you tell the difference with Polishes?

That is a very good question. I'll do my best to answer it in the most clear way possible.

IMO
    good= effective at removing the defects desired, adequate working time, does not fill, body shop safe, meshes well with the paint being worked on and pads/buffer being used.

bad= no effective at removing defects desired, insufficient working time, fills defects, non-body shop safe, does not work well with the paint pads/buffer being used.

That being said, how good a polish is depends on the desired results and the tools being used. One polish may be great with a rotary and wool, while it may be bad with a DA and finishing pad. The polish effectiveness is all dependent on what you desire as a result from its use.
    Jon Miles

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you!
    Can you tell me what "body shop safe" means?
    Does it mean that it wont chip the paint?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nira View Post
    Thank you!
    Can you tell me what "body shop safe" means?
    Does it mean that it wont chip the paint?
    It means that the product is a pure polish and not a mix of silicones, waxes, and abrasives. This is important to me, as I do a lot of correction work at body shops in my area. I cannot have silicones dissipating in the air and causing problems in the paint booth 20 feet away. Its just a matter of better safe than sorry. Plus, a clean surface free of silicones and waxes leaves a better bonding surface for your LSP.
    Jon Miles

Post Thanks / Like

Body shop safe in simple terms = Safe for polishing & will not seal the paint

Paint needs 30 days (give or take) to properly cure. Body shop safe enables a body shop to buff out/color sand paint imperfections without interfering with the curing process.
    Shade Tree Auto Detailing
    Austin, Texas & surrounding areas

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Nira View Post
    I was just wondering what the difference was between a "good" polish and a "bad" polish is.
    • A good polish, compound, or swirl mark remover will remove defects without imparting any of its own defects at the same time.

• A good polish, compound or swirl mark remover will finish out to a high degree of gloss and clarity.

• A good polish has a long buffing cycle and easy wipe off.

• A really good polish will work on a wide range of paint system in different climates with all the above characteristics.

Body Shop Safe
    Body Shop Safe means the product contains no ingredients that will affect surface adhesion when fresh paint is being sprayed.

Body Show Safe means the product contains no ingredient that will contaminate a fresh paint environment.

Consumer products are often not body shop safe because they will contain waxes, silicones or "other" ingredients that could cause surface adhesion problems or contaminate a body shop.

Note that using body shop safe products as a "Detailer" or a "Car Enthusiast" is not important, what's important is the performance of the product as it relates to the goal you're trying to accomplish.

Body Shop Safe is for people that work where fresh paint is being sprayed. So don't get hung up on only using body shop safe products.