autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Micromarring /polishing question

Ok, let me see if I have this right - breaking down the polish too much causes micromarring, as does not breaking it down enough, correct?
    henceforth, in order to avoid this, what do you do?
    Help!!

I was about to order xmt 3 for my new red vette and ohc, but maybe ohc is too risky for a newbie like me? remember i am using the pc.
    Thanks,
    Lauren

Post Thanks / Like
    Never heard about such thing as breaking down polish too much. I heard about dry polishing, which yes, will cause micromarring. Start with XMT 2, move up to XMT only if needed. Then finish with XMT 1 on a white pad. If you want super-perfect finish, - the "jewel". Use finishing polish - XMT1 on finishing pad.
    2008 Acura MDX Sport white pearl (daily driver)
    2009 BMW E70 X5 4.8i jet black (garage queen)
    2013 BMW F25 X3 2.8 jet black (wife's car)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ltoman
    Ok, let me see if I have this right - breaking down the polish too much causes micromarring, as does not breaking it down enough, correct?
    henceforth, in order to avoid this, what do you do?
    Help!!

I was about to order xmt 3 for my new red vette and ohc, but maybe ohc is too risky for a newbie like me? remember i am using the pc.
    Thanks,
    Lauren
    I really dont see xmt2 doing anything to that vette clearcoat.
    Start with XMT3 on an orange pad and work in overlaping figure 8 patterns. Also put pressure straight down on top of the pc's head and steer it with your other hand.

Dry buffing does cause micromarring, to prevent this, use XMT polishing pad conditioner or the like before buffing which can happen if you work out the polish too much. The best way to prevent this for a newb would be to use Optimum. You can just about work it forever untill you decide to buff it off.
    Last edited by ryandamartini; 11-26-2006 at 09:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    micromarring is one step is polishing with swirl removers. It is where the larger swirls and spiderwebs are reduced into much smaller markings. This can mean you are polishing correctly and need to keep moving to lighter polishes and pads.

On a perfect finish, if you start to polish and you remove the polish to soon, before it breaks down properly (think diminishing abrasives) then you could likely make micromarring and a finish worse. This is where you go back and work the polish longer, and then moving to lighter finishing polish and finishing pads.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ryandamartini
    I really dont see xmt2 doing anything to that vette clearcoat.
    Start with XMT3 on an orange pad and work in overlaping figure 8 patterns. Also put pressure straight down on top of the pc's head and steer it with your other hand.

Dry buffing does cause micromarring, to prevent this, use XMT polishing pad conditioner or the like before buffing which can happen if you work out the polish too much. The best way to prevent this for a newb would be to use Optimum. You can just about work it forever untill you decide to buff it off.
    Ryan,
    Which optimum do you recommend? One of them said for use by those with experience, essentially...scared me away some. ???
    Also, dry buffing is simply not spraying the pad prior to use, yes? Just want to see if I got that right.
    Thanks,
    Lauren

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the micromarring people usually refer to is the very small stuff you get left from using an aggressive compound. I had that with my black car after using Optimum Hyper Compound, their most aggressive. It leaves these tiny scratches that made the paint look hazy. I just went over the car with the Optimum Polish to remove those tiny scratches. I also used it on my other car, a dark green and for some reason I didn't have that with that car. But then I only did one pass where with the black car, I did two, so maybe that made a difference.

The Optimum was extremely easy to use. The only complaint I've ever heard is that it may take longer to break down than other polishes. I would suggest getting the Hyper Compound and the Polish. If you need the middle strength of the regular Compound, I was told you can mix the OHC and the OP 50/50. And you may want to try this on your Vette. The Hyper Compound was reformulated, and is supposed to be stronger, so you might not want to go straight to that unless nothing else works.
    Last edited by Grimm; 11-26-2006 at 03:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dry buffing just means you did not spray the stuff on the pad to lubricate it, right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ltoman
    Dry buffing just means you did not spray the stuff on the pad to lubricate it, right?
    Dry buffing is when theres no more oil/moisture in the polish/compound. I dont lubricate my pad, and never (rearly) run dry....
    EVOIX