autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Wash mitts marring the finish??

I have a question for the experts here. I have been using Gold Class Car Wash for many years with no issues. I have also used a variety of wash mitts. My favorite is the Viking 2 in 1 wool with the mesh backing (there are 2 types out there- one is great and the other is not good at all). Anyhow, I recently have used the white Meguiars Supreme Shine MF mitt as well. I never had any issues. I saw an auction on ebay for some of the older wool style Meguiars wash mitts and I bought a couple of them. (They are legit and aren't knock offs or anything). Well after using that one, I can see a ton of micromarring on my paint in the direction of the motion of how I wash. (It isn't very noticable- but it is there). I'm pretty sure its this mitt.

I tried the blank dvd trick on all my mitts (all were dry) and every single one scratched the living (you know what) out of every dvd I tested on.

My MF towels don't leave any marks on the discs.

What gives?? I use plenty of car wash, I foam the bucket very well, (single bucket with grit guard) and I just use the wieght of the mitt. I use a big Water Sprite to dry (but I have been using them for over a decade so I know it isn't an issue)

Would it be safer to just use a good MF towel instead of a mitt?? What do you guys use to preserve your finish??

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wash mitts marring the finish??

Grout sponge at your local home warehouse center. Another option would be the Lake Country blue sponge that autogeek sells. These are popular and a safe bet. I have been using both with no ill effects.
    Last edited by svs; 09-09-2010 at 09:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Been using a microfiber 'chenille' type sponge, no marring that I can see so far...

Post Thanks / Like

I hope you are using the 2-bucket technique!
    I've used Meguiars MF wash mitt with 2- bucket technique and it never seems to marr the finish.

Post Thanks / Like

I run my mitts through the washer after using them, gentle with no soap. Could try giving that a shot.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you sure it is your washing process? It could be your drying process.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

I used the two-bucket method with the Wookie's Fist and my paint was slightly marred too. I know wasn't bearing down on the paint either......I've since switched to the Cobra Micro-Chenille mitts and haven't looked back!

Post Thanks / Like

I'll probably be the only one to say this but I was getting a lot of swirls using the Boars Hair Brush with Foam Gun and two Bucket method so I switched back to the Cobra Mitts and no more swirls, too bad cause the brush was much more comfortable in the winter months.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies!! I am only using a 1 bucket with gg, but I just started this method a few months ago. Previous to that I was using a smaller bucket without a gg, but I just made sure it never touched the bottom. I know it isn't bucket related, as it is the entire area the mitt touched and in the direction I washed (like front to back in straight lines). When I dry, I go in every direction, so no swirls, just real fine lines that run front to back. Mitts are always rinsed out well.

I think I will try to polish the paint back up, and I won't use that acrylic style yellow wool mitt anymore. I may just have to try the cobra or the grout sponge and I'll keep an eye on it. The marring is so slight and can only be seen in certain light, but it looks bad to us detailers...

Its funny that you can point swirls out perfectly to some people and they still can't see it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 08 300C View Post
    I'll probably be the only one to say this but I was getting a lot of swirls using the Boars Hair Brush with Foam Gun and two Bucket method so I switched back to the Cobra Mitts and no more swirls, too bad cause the brush was much more comfortable in the winter months.
    Get yourself a pair of chemical proof gloves from Home Depot. It's usually in the stain and paint department. The ones that I have a big pair of black ones. They're meant to be used while you use stains and other chemicals. They shield your hand from the cold water. You won't feel a thing..just be careful to not touch the paint with the gloves as they are pretty rough. You could probably stick the gloves inside of the wash mitt (I like to use a sponge).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast