autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Proper Dosage of Chemical Guys Wash and Gloss

What is the proper dosage of Chemical Guys Wash and Gloss for normal washing?

I haven't been the greatest when it comes to proper dosing. I usually use a "splash" of it with my 2 gallon bucket. As a result, I just realized that after three washings, my coat of Collinite 915 is completely gone.

So, I must have been using way too much. The label says use 1 capful (which is probably 1-2 tsp) to 5 gallons, but that seems like a very low dosage.

What do you folks recommend?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Proper Dosage of Chemical Guys Wash and Gloss

i've used the rec dosage and I works very well.

Post Thanks / Like

1oz to 4-5 gallons of water...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Critic View Post
    What is the proper dosage of Chemical Guys Wash and Gloss for normal washing?

I haven't been the greatest when it comes to proper dosing. I usually use a "splash" of it with my 2 gallon bucket. As a result, I just realized that after three washings, my coat of Collinite 915 is completely gone.

So, I must have been using way too much. The label says use 1 capful (which is probably 1-2 tsp) to 5 gallons, but that seems like a very low dosage.

Thanks.
    I do not use the wash and gloss as a regular car wash. I only use it to help thoroughly clean my paint before claying, polishing and waxing. It did a nice job of cleaning my wheels and tires as well.

It was recommended to buy one of two other CG car washes for everyday use by the folks at CG LA, as Wash and Gloss may strip protection as an everyday car wash. Apparently, you have found that to be true but you probably used too much.

That being said, it is a favorite of the local detailers that buy from the LA facility because it does a great cleaning job and the gloss is quite exceptional. If you are going to use it, a little goes a long way, so even 1/2 a capful for your two gallon bucket may push it. Just consider that you may need to wax more often, which could be a good thing if you like to wax.

I could see combining it with a spray wax like OCW or Four Star UPP for a nice wash and wax process.

Post Thanks / Like

So CG's website says it is 1 capful (5ml) to 3-5 gallons of water, preferably 5 gallons.

5ml= 1 teaspoon. I'm guessing that my "splash" is at least 4-5 teaspoons. Oops.

It's quite amazing that Collinite has stood up that well to that level of detergent. Perhaps this explains why I am having trouble with getting any of my waxes or sealants to last more than a month or so.

Post Thanks / Like

So CG's website says it is 1 capful (5ml) to 3-5 gallons of water, preferably 5 gallons.

5ml= 1 teaspoon. I'm guessing that my "splash" is at least 4-5 teaspoons. Oops.

It's quite amazing that Collinite has stood up that well to that level of detergent. Perhaps this explains why I am having trouble with getting any of my waxes or sealants to last more than a month or so.
    I think they say 1:4000 concentration for general use which is 1 ml per 4 liters. This is approximately 1 teaspoon per 5.2 gallons, which isn't much.

Have you tried any other car wash recently. There are several discussions about favorite car washes on the forum and your wax should last longer.

Post Thanks / Like

I would think a message to Chemical Guys asking what you've asked here will get you the answer you're looking for.... I dunno, sounds reasonable anyway...

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

if youre worried about your LSP or finish protection then buy citrus wash CLEAR from them or it might be called citrus daily wash or something...its specifically formulated to not strip any surface protection...

The label says use 1 capful (which is probably 1-2 tsp) to 5 gallons, but that seems like a very low dosage.

its highly concentrated...more so than whatever you can buy in the stores...alot of people actually use this wash soap TO strip finishes at half dilution or so
    Last edited by Bullitt AK; 09-07-2010 at 03:16 PM.