autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

BLACK car at the OCEAN -- Nightmare

So... I am vacationing + family reunion at the beach. I have a black 2010 wrangler 4 door sport. My dad was driving on the beach(I was riding in the passenger seat) and decided to drive through an entire flock of seagulls, which got bird doo all over the car. Then My dad has the bright idea to run the car through the salt water to try to get the bird poo off. It didn't work. Now the car has both salt water and bird doo on it. Now heres the nightmare... The house that I am at has very hard water, and I don't have any of my normal washing stuff with me(shame on me). I only wash the sand off the frame / undercarriage, and the wheel wells. Being a wrangler, the wheel wells, fender overhangs, and rock rails stop almost anything from getting on it, but the 1 foot of ocean water at 25mph threw water in front of the car, then the wind resistance caused the water to slow down while in the air, while my father drove through it. Thus covering the car in ocean salt water.
    I never said anything major to my dad, just out of respect... But I groveled a bit.

The ocean is in north Oregon by the way. Not sure if it makes a difference, but there's the info.

So I ask you: What would be better... To Leave the salt water and bird doo on for the 2 days it will be until I get home, or to hose it off and risk wide spread water spots?
    P.S. The car has 3 coats of sealant and 4 coats of 'nuba on it in preparation for some sea air, but I didn't plan for this!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: BLACK car at the OCEAN -- Nightmare

First: take away the keys from dad, an put him on time out..

Second: I would leave the salt water since you have 3 coats of sealant, the bird CRAP is far more acidic an harmful to the paint even with sealant.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2kredbb6 View Post
    First: take away the keys from dad, an put him on time out..

Second: I would leave the salt water since you have 3 coats of sealant, the bird CRAP is far more acidic an harmful to the paint even with sealant.
    Sorry I meant RINSE with the hardwater, DON'T LEAVE the bird DOOKIE on there

Post Thanks / Like

neutralize the bird dropping with car soap before blasting it off. You can dilute the car soap first or pour the car soap at full strength straight on the bird dropping. Whatever is more convenient. Hot soapy water works best from my experience.

Blasting away the bird dropping with high pressure without neutralizing it first may damage the clear coat.

As always, wash your hands with hand soap immediately after touching bird droppings.

Post Thanks / Like

Why not google for a local touchless car wash? The kind that you spray on soap and then wash yourself. I recently found four in my area that I never knew existed. I'm saving them for the winter.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the comment about taking the keys away from Dad!

Tell him to get his own toys to play with!

Being away on vacation I would head to the nearest touch-less car wash. It'll take the majority of the salt and bird poop off the car. To go one step further, stop into a local store and pick up some car wash, a bucket, and a wash mitt. Head down to the nearest do-it-yourself car wash and get it done.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Chill, you're on vacation and it's only a couple of more days. Take some bottled water and see if you can gently rinse off the bird poop. The rest is safe because of your previous prep. Hand Dad a beer, laugh and just remember the dumb things you did at his age
    John
    Mean people suck

Post Thanks / Like

Boy as a total NOOB i never thought i would be able to give advise on this forum. But this time i will give it a good shot

1. Take an old towel or paper towels dunk in plenty of hot water to soften the bird poo.. as others mentioned you can mix hot water with dish soap ...

Get the poop off the car ASAP !

2. When you get home give the Jeep a good wash and detail and your Jeep should be shinning like a morning sun....

I have to leave my car outside during the summer and birds target my car like a scuds to the Taliban ... so i know to get the poop off !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    I like the comment about taking the keys away from Dad!

Tell him to get his own toys to play with!

Being away on vacation I would head to the nearest touch-less car wash. It'll take the majority of the salt and bird poop off the car. To go one step further, stop into a local store and pick up some car wash, a bucket, and a wash mitt. Head down to the nearest do-it-yourself car wash and get it done.
    Touch-less wash -- Done

Quote Originally Posted by jpegs13 View Post
    Hand Dad a beer, laugh and just remember the dumb things you did at his age
    I like that idea!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the_invisible View Post
    Blasting away the bird dropping with high pressure without neutralizing it first may damage the clear coat.
    Could you explain this to me? How does it damage it? I am not asking because I am trying to contradict... Rather out of pure curiosity.