autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

HELP!! White crosswalk (industrial strength) paint on black car

Ok, so I have a black car. I've kinda neglected taking care of it right when it happened due to non-stop rain for the first couple weeks after I discovered the paint spattered all over the sides of the car and through out the wheel wells.
    One of the first days where the weather permitted I went after the spattering with everything I could think of -nail polish remover, Meguairs medium cutter, Lacquer Thinner, and nothing would touch the white spattering.
    I just picked up a PC 7424 and went after it with a Lake Country yellow pad with Mezerna's Power Gloss and it did NOTHING!!
    I was using light pressure at first but quickly lightened the hold so the pad was barely touching the surface.

The only thing I've found to work was running my fingernail across the spatterings, but it's like pure static and just slides.
    My saving grace that it comes off with this is that I'd clayed, polished and waxed the car within 3-4 days before I found the wet paint (I don't know when I hit it b/c I never was anywhere I saw painters -I suspect they were painting and it started raining and I came through very soon after that).

Anyhow, what would be the best method for removing -there are some larger spackles that I'm afraid would hurt the paint if I used a claybar -I'd probably need 5 kits per side of the car -it's that bad, especially right behind the wheels -I am getting new inner splash shields because it's cheaper than the time I'd need to clean the old ones.

Thank you VERY MUCH in advance for advice on getting it off without damaging the paint.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: HELP!! White crosswalk (industrial strength) paint on black car

Wheel well (front of wheel well -behind tire is 10x as bad).

Bottom at middle of door and rocker moulding.

Between drivers door and left rear wheel after PC 7424 with Merzerna's Power Gloss on a Lake Country yellow foam pad:

Mike Phillips

Since this is your first post to our forum...

Welcome to Autogeek Online!

What you have is a problem, big time because the DOT specifically creates paints that don't wear out and don't come off... just think about all the abuse the painted lines on our streets and freeways receive 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and yet the paint remains...

This topic has come up before but I don't remember any easy solution to the problem, by this I mean, what you need is,

Something strong enough to dissolve the crosswalk paint but at the same time won't dissolve your car paint.

The problem is anything strong enough to dissolve the crosswalk paint will be strong enough to dissolve your car paint.

The other way to normally remove offending paint off you're car's paint is to somehow abrade it off and this poses its own set of unique risks mostly in that your car's clear coat is thin, so somehow you have to abrade the offending paint without abrading your car's paint... or at least without abrading it much...

First thing I would do is contact the Department of Transportation and ask them if they have a remedy since this problem has to have come up in the past.

Next, I would contact these people..

Motsenbocker's

See if they have a magic potion...

Besides that there are ways to remove it like plastic razor blades or carefully sand it off or rub it off using something like XMT #4 Rubbing Compound and then afterwards remove the scratches the XMT #4 instills into the clear coat...

See this article...

How To Remove Paint Transfer

Mike Phillips

This won't be any fun but these might get most of the little dots of paint off the painted panels...

ScrapeRite Plastic Razor Blades

I feel your pain -Bill Clinton

I feel your paint... -Mike Phillips

Seriously... I feel your pain...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much!!
    I was thinking about using Megauirs Quick Detail and something along the lines of a plastic dish scraper.
    Wish I'd seen those plastic razor blades before I placed my order Tuesday night for Lake Country purple & Gold Kompressor pads and Mezerna Sealing Wax.
    Will be ordering those plastic razor blades when I decide what else I will need to fill my next order (probably tomorrow).

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello!

I ran into this with my cousins black Denali last year. The lower rocker panels were covered in yellow road paint.

The biggest issue ive noticed in cars I've done with road paint, is that the older it is the harder it is to take off. If you attack the road paint 24hrs or less, it seems to remove a lot easier.

Things Ive used that seem to work the best.

Light dots around paint.

Red Heavy cut Claymagic Claybar
    3m adhesive remover with plastic razor blades.

Heavy/Moderate Paint
    Plastic Razor blades
    Graffti Wipes. Ill take a picture of them so everyone will know.

After any of these all wax will be stripped off the car and will need to be polished/swirl removed because the plastic razor blades will leave some surface scratches.

Good Luck!