autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Remove bad oxidation fro a wheel

Last week i cleaned my wheels but i had no luck with removing bad oxidation i guess i need to buy something that would polish ,seal and clean my wheels what do you recomend, do you think Collinite Metal Wax # 850 would do the job or something different, also which pads i should buy for metal cleaning and polishing for Porte724xp

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Remove bad oxidation fro a wheel

I have CCI - Aluminum alloy wheels

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if you saw this or if it will help but Mike did these wheels yesterday.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-makeover.html

Post Thanks / Like

Theses are the wheels that i have 2007 HONDA ACCORD SEDAN Wheel - OEM Replacement # ALY63907U | WheelsAndCaps.com mine are MACHINED W/SILVER so i guess the best thing to use would be Meguiars Wheel Brightener ,can if that won,t remove it what would be a next step perhaps a power ball or power cone and what type of polish for these wheels would work so i won't demage my wheels.I should have some pictures by sunday to determine what can be done,I just hope the OEM coating is ok if not i have big problem.
    Last edited by 2SLICK4U; 08-17-2010 at 09:14 PM.

Mike Phillips

You know... I clicked on the link you included and their web copy doesn't SPECIFICALLY state they are coated or bare aluminum...

16 inch Bright Sparkle Silver Textured with a Machined Face Alloy Factory, OEM Wheel, Rim
    Is it that hard to help the consumer by making sure they know exactly what they are working on?

My guess is these are coated, if so then you treat them like paint, not aluminum. You can use a paint cleaner and even a clear coat safe compound. DON"T use metal polishes on clear coated wheels, they are too aggressive and will scratch the clear coating.

Meguiar's actually made their NXT Metal Polysh to be safe on clear coated wheels taking into consideration that most people don't know what they're working on and don't have the wherewithal to find out. It's not aggressive at all so if you have horribly dirty clear coated wheels the correct product would be a better choice. It is a very good/fine metal polish.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so i will have to check NXT Metal Polish and lets hope it will do the job , thank you for your answers.

Post Thanks / Like

"Set of 4 at $459 With Free Shipping!"
    Style: Machine Polished w/ Clearcoat

Looks like they are clearcoated.

Mike Phillips

Moved out of the "How To" forum, (because it's not a how-to article), and into Detailing 101 which is for questions...

Post Thanks / Like

Honda OEM wheels, no matter what the "color" or finish are coated. The wheels on both my Accord and Odyssey are machine polished and then clearcoated. Your 2007 wheels are definitely coated if they were the standard OEM wheels...my brother has the same year car.

I've been just fine with Meg's, Eagle One, and even Armor All OTC. I'm sure any of the non-acidic cleaners here on AG will do well. From what I've read, Meg's Wheel Brightener is some seriously harsh (to the nose...not the wheels) stuff. You may want to start off with something a little less potent.

Maybe even try a paint cleaner to remove some of the oxidation since it's a clearcoat. I've always kept my wheels clean so I just use car wash soap and a mitt. I then coat with Klasse AIO an SG.