autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

PC 7424 leaking oil

I've had my PC for several years. I haven't used it for a few months as I've been recovering from knee surgery.

Tonight I took it off the shelf to hit up a few spots on my wife's car. As soon as I started to use it, I mean, within a second, a clear brown oil or grease started to leak from (I think) the switch area and the "vents" for the black gear cover atop the eccentric housing, you know, the black cover you hold when modulating pressure on the pad.

I keep it on its left side on the top shelf of my detailing cabinet, backing plate facing out. Is it possible that over the course of the summer heat in my garage that grease or oil has collected from the "drivetrain" of the thing underneath that black cover and when I started it up the collected liquid just spattered about and leaked?

I was able to clean the outer parts of the unit without taking it apart, but I'm just concerned because I don't want it to happen again, I'm sure there is more inside. I'm SO anal about contaminating my detailing products, especially with greases, etc.

I started it up and ran it after cleaning, and wrapped white paper towels around the housing, etc. Nothing new seemed to leak out or show on the towels.

I was half tempted to take RC car motor spray and really soak the gear housing inside through the vents, but I can imagine that would eliminate necessary lube.

I can guarantee it reaches 120 degrees in my garage, and this summer has been an incredibly hot one, so I'm sure storing it without any use in such heat is not ideal for the lubrication inside to remain put.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: PC 7424 leaking oil

Some of the gear lube may have settled due to the summer heat. Give it a good cleaning and you should be fine. I don't have mine in front of me but is there a place to add gear oil?

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    Some of the gear lube may have settled due to the summer heat. Give it a good cleaning and you should be fine. I don't have mine in front of me but is there a place to add gear oil?
    thanks.

you mean just clean the outside like i did?

it sure made a mess, haha. it totally stunk like petroleum. i had it on my hands and all over the body of the unit. i used some 10:1 powerclean and then a wet paper towel to remove that.

looking at a blow-up, it seems like there isn't a place to precisely add grease to the forward drivetrain of the thing, but it is definitely serviceable if you follow several steps to take the cover off. i don't think i need to do that though...

Post Thanks / Like

bump

Post Thanks / Like

The tool comes lubricated from the factory and uses sealed bearings that require no further lubrication because of their design.

The unit uses two bevel type gears to to transfer the horizontal rotation 90 degrees from the main drive to the eccentric. This is the only place I can see that the lube may have come from. Personally I don't feel it would hurt anything if you placed a little synthetic grease in this area to lubricate the gears. Be sure to use one that will not melt or run under normal operating temperatures.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by builthatch View Post
    bump
    Like Bobby posted, wipe the excess off and use the tool. If grease coming out of the tool continues to be a problem then contact Porter Cable and see what they say?

I can't count how many of these tools I've used over the years, but a lot of them and I can't say I've ever seen this type of problem with these tools so what you're experiencing is very likely the exception... not the rule...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

mine came out of the box wet with oil on both sides of the front vertical slits. the oil didn't seep out of the box, it just stained it about 2" diameter. i haven't plugged it to run it yet. can anyone point us to the instructions of maintaining our beloved PC 7424xp?

the grease suggested is :Shell Alvania Greases EP2 LF2
    Shell Alvania Grease EP2 & 3 are designed for:
    ● Heavy duty bearings and general industrial lubrication
    ● Heavy duty plain and rolling element bearings operating under severe conditions including shock loading in wet environments
    ● Operation over the temperature range -20°C to 100°C for bearings operating at 75% of the maximum rated speed (Can withstand up to 120°C intermittently)

soon as you guys find out, please tell where in this diagram do we put in the grease that we lost.
    DeWALT ServiceNET - Official Online Store for DeWALT, Porter Cable, Delta, and Black and Decker Parts

thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jahoo View Post
    mine came out of the box wet with oil on both sides of the front vertical slits. the oil didn't seep out of the box, it just stained it about 2" diameter. i haven't plugged it to run it yet. can anyone point us to the instructions of maintaining our beloved PC 7424xp?

thanks in advance.
    it's my impression that no maintenance is required. in the past i've found blow-up diagrams for service when something breaks, but that's it.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

my 7424xp was also on its left side. the leaks were on the slits on both sides where part #53 meets #1 or #44. these are the body cover part numbers. i think i just wiped the grease with my hand. now it's dry with a little shine.

maybe i'll plug it in tomorrow and give it a whirl.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

had the same problem with mine when I got it out friday to get my dads Traverse ready for winter!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast