autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Leaf Blower not cutting it?

Hey guys, so I recently went to Walmart and got this leaf blower to dry my car. My car is freshly clayed, so water should fly right off fairly easily. However, when I used it, it pushed the droplets away but left these little, tiny droplets instead. Is this normal?

Also, my car isn't waxed or sealed yet (still getting around to it..), does it have to be waxed for the leaf blower method to work?

most crowded state in the world NEW JERSEY
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leaf Blower not cutting it?

What power leaf blower do you have? When i use mine i just get the areas where water gets caught in and as much off the car as i can. If need be i still use a micro drying towel but it's still much less wiping then before. Just checked your blower and mine is rated at 250mph. That might be why.Got mine from home depot for $68.00

Post Thanks / Like

claying will remove some/all of the protection which often helps with beading. It probably looks more like sheeting right now, just add wax and see if theres a difference.

I have the B/D Leaf Hawg and its plenty powerful enough !

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
    What power leaf blower do you have? When i use mine i just get the areas where water gets caught in and as much off the car as i can. If need be i still use a micro drying towel but it's still much less wiping then before. Just checked your blower and mine is rated at 250mph. That might be why.Got mine from home depot for $68.00
    It has an 7.5 amp motor and blows to 150 mph. I try to go over the car with the microfiber after, but the tiny droplets dry quickly, and leave water spots. I'm not sure what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    claying will remove some/all of the protection which often helps with beading. It probably looks more like sheeting right now, just add wax and see if theres a difference.

I have the B/D Leaf Hawg and its plenty powerful enough !
    Well I didn't have any protection on it to begin with, before claying. You are right though, the water is kinda sheeting off, and not beading. I only have wax on my trunk right now (long story) but next time I wash, I'll see if the blower works better on the trunk. I'll also try to take some pictures of these micro-droplets the blower is leaving.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spellrm View Post
    Hey guys, so I recently went to Walmart and got this leaf blower to dry my car. My car is freshly clayed, so water should fly right off fairly easily. However, when I used it, it pushed the droplets away but left these little, tiny droplets instead. Is this normal?

Also, my car isn't waxed or sealed yet (still getting around to it..), does it have to be waxed for the leaf blower method to work?
    a leaf blower will only work well if there's protection on the car, otherwise it will drag (the water slides off easier on a slick surface). i never considered a leaf blower to be a complete means of drying (it's normal if there are droplets, you can't get every little drop) and with the little droplets remaining on the surface, use a quality waffle weave or microfiber towel with some QD and wipe off the remainder. i mainly use the leaf blower to get water where it hides (gaps/seams, headlights/taillights, wheels/tires, gas cap/door, windshield wipers/cowling, doorjams, emblems, etc, etc,...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl3 View Post
    a leaf blower will only work well if there's protection on the car, otherwise it will drag (the water slides off easier on a slick surface). i never considered a leaf blower to be a complete means of drying (it's normal if there are droplets, you can't get every little drop) and with the little droplets remaining on the surface, use a quality waffle weave or microfiber towel with some QD and wipe off the remainder. i mainly use the leaf blower to get water where it hides (gaps/seams, headlights/taillights, wheels/tires, gas cap/door, windshield wipers/cowling, doorjams, emblems, etc, etc,...

Ok thanks. I guess I was being a little too hopeful about the leaf blower. I still need to get some good quality drying towels: can anyone recommend some to me? Preferably ones that aren't really expensive? Do I need waffle weave or super plush ones?

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a leafblower with enough CFM at speed it'll do the job. Just because it says 150 MPH doesn't mean it's pushing enough volume of air to dry the car. I have a Husqvarna pro backpack blower that will dry a car in minutes. It will also blow medium sized rocks across the street at high speed!

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same blower in Craftsman colors and it woeks like a champ. I also go back over my truck with QD and a MF after using the blower.
    'Cause there's just something women like about a pickup man.
    Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Are you drying with water (flood method)?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Are you drying with water (flood method)?
    Actually, I forgot to do that the last time I washed. I'll do the flood method and then use the leaf blower and report back. Hopefully I get some better results.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast