autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Ultima Paint Guard Plus (UPGP) - user questions

Used this stuff for the first time yesterday on a freshly washed vehicle. I followed the instructions on Ultima's site... use pad it came with, couple of spritzes to prime, then 1 spritz, apply, when looking dry, 1 spritz again and apply and so on. Applied circular motions, with straight line to end.

It went on really easy. And the gloss it achieved was very similar to 4Star UPP. I love both on black. I guess they're both made by the same company, which explains it. But UPGP is MUCH EASIER to use.

My question is that I have some streaks. I noticed them 15 minutes to an hour after I applied it, and even this morning when I looked at the car. Since it cured fully for 12 hours, I went ahead and buffed/wiped it. Most of the stuff came off... but some streaks remained. I might QD it later

So how do I NOT use UPGP so I don't have streaks? Is it over application again? Or am I doing something else wrong? What do you guys do?
    2012 Ford Mustang 5.0 - Kona Blue Christened name: MARILYN
    2012 Acura TSX S.E. - Silver Moon Christened name: TORI
    2013 Toyota Prius V - Blue Ribbon Metallic Christened name: PORTIA

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ultima Paint Guard Plus (UPGP) - user questions

Yes, overapplication. It sounds like you're method is almost perfect. Only problem you are spritzing the applicator again before using all the product that is on it. keep using the applicator untill no more "oily" look shows when it touches the paint. About 3 sq ft. per spritz. When it's getting difficult to tell if anything is coming off move to a spot you haven't touched in the right lighting and do quick wipe or press the pad directly against the paint and see if anything comes off. If anything is coming off then keep using it until the product has been used. If that bothers you then you are fine. Just wait till its cured like you did and then hit it with some Ultima detail spray and an mf towel. Should come right off. If you don't have Ultima Detail spray I'm sure any good QD will work.

It's weird I see people get streaks with this. I have never had a streak with it so I assume its overapplication by others.
    Good luck and let us know how it goes
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

I have used all the WOWA sealants and I commonly got streaks no matter how thin I applied. What I personally found is that the foam applicators seem to hold more product versus the MF which probably sucks it in so less is available for waxing. After the switch I was much more pleased as I could control application a bit better.

While I do prefer Ultima for final look, removing the streaking after it has cured is harder than the two other sealants. I think Optiseal is quite similar in look but perhaps streaks a bit less. My original version of Zaino CS didnt have the same gloss but believe Sal changed formula and enhanced quite a bit.

I have really only found one main issue with them all. Its darn hard to finish a bottle no matter how small it is. You put so little on that you'd be hard pressed to use an ounce after several applications. 1 spritz per panel max.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    Yes, overapplication. It sounds like you're method is almost perfect. Only problem you are spritzing the applicator again before using all the product that is on it. keep using the applicator untill no more "oily" look shows when it touches the paint. About 3 sq ft. per spritz. When it's getting difficult to tell if anything is coming off move to a spot you haven't touched in the right lighting and do quick wipe or press the pad directly against the paint and see if anything comes off. If anything is coming off then keep using it until the product has been used. If that bothers you then you are fine. Just wait till its cured like you did and then hit it with some Ultima detail spray and an mf towel. Should come right off. If you don't have Ultima Detail spray I'm sure any good QD will work.

It's weird I see people get streaks with this. I have never had a streak with it so I assume its overapplication by others.
    Good luck and let us know how it goes
    Thanks CEE... Just when I think I have mastered applying paste and liquid LSP's THINLY, I come across a NEW type of LSP, a spray sealant, and now I have to go even thinner... lol. I'm impressed that you have never had a streak with UPGP. So how do you like using it? Is it your go to sealant? How's the gloss? Can I still top it with Souveran? I love topping my sealants with nuba's... they just give it that extra warmth it needs. I hope UPGP allows this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    I have used all the WOWA sealants and I commonly got streaks no matter how thin I applied. What I personally found is that the foam applicators seem to hold more product versus the MF which probably sucks it in so less is available for waxing. After the switch I was much more pleased as I could control application a bit better.
    Switch to which? using an MF applicator?

While I do prefer Ultima for final look, removing the streaking after it has cured is harder than the two other sealants. I think Optiseal is quite similar in look but perhaps streaks a bit less. My original version of Zaino CS didnt have the same gloss but believe Sal changed formula and enhanced quite a bit.
    Killr, do you agree with me that look-wise (minus streaking) UPGP is the same as 4StarUPP as far as your favorite looking sealant on black? On another note, I do agree that Opti-seal streaks less, but it is far less durable IMO. I am using Opti-seal on lower trims and rims now...

I have really only found one main issue with them all. Its darn hard to finish a bottle no matter how small it is. You put so little on that you'd be hard pressed to use an ounce after several applications. 1 spritz per panel max.
    Why is not using up a bottle a negative thing? That means you're using far less product thus lasting a longer time... that's a great thing!
    2012 Ford Mustang 5.0 - Kona Blue Christened name: MARILYN
    2012 Acura TSX S.E. - Silver Moon Christened name: TORI
    2013 Toyota Prius V - Blue Ribbon Metallic Christened name: PORTIA

Post Thanks / Like

What I personally found is that the foam applicators seem to hold more product versus the MF which probably sucks it in so less is available for waxing. After the switch I was much more pleased as I could control application a bit better.
    These 3 Pack Cobra Microfiber Applicator Pads are the PERFECT pads to apply UPGP with. They often show up on BOGO very reasonably. Once you get the pad primed it is amazing how easy you will be able to apply a uniform thin coat adding only a spritz or two every panel or two. If you are in doubt as to whether it is applying, touch your pad against a window, you will be able to see the film this way. Once I am finished with the paint I usually use the clean side of the pad to apply to all the exterior glass on the car. Last stop is sometimes my glass shower door. Then I pitch the pad.
    Fred R. Elias Jr.
    Warren, MI. 48091
    1-586-755-1245

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sportscarhiatus View Post
    Thanks CEE... Just when I think I have mastered applying paste and liquid LSP's THINLY, I come across a NEW type of LSP, a spray sealant, and now I have to go even thinner... lol. I'm impressed that you have never had a streak with UPGP. So how do you like using it? Is it your go to sealant? How's the gloss? Can I still top it with Souveran? I love topping my sealants with nuba's... they just give it that extra warmth it needs. I hope UPGP allows this as well.
    Its true, no streaks. I was confident enough with it that the day of Detail Fest I finished up at like 2 or 3 am with my UPGP. got up about 6am and drove it a couple hundred miles without even looking it over.

I LOVE it. When I got my Sky and did a ton of research Ultima was what I went with. Definitely my go to sealant. This year I have been using some waxes and trying a few other sealants but I love my Ultima. My Sky always has the Ultima as her base coat of preotection. This gloss is as good as it gets. I usually do 3 coats on my Sky.

Yes, you can top it with Souveran. I just did that for the first time a couple weeks ago and I liked it. Going one way or the other may be better depending on what looks you like. I don't know, I have to play with the Souveran as a topper a couple more times.

One thing though, If you put wax on you will get more dust then if you use the Ultima alone.

Personally I disagree with Scott on the applicator. I like the mf for really thin sealants. However if I couldn't stop the streaks I would definetly take his advice and give it a try.

btw: I don't have any hands on knowledge removing the streaks. I just read that it was easy with the detail spray from Ultima.

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by feslope View Post
    These 3 Pack Cobra Microfiber Applicator Pads are the PERFECT pads to apply UPGP with.
    I have used those as well and liked them a lot. I use those on other cars and use the MF it came with dedicated to my Sky.

If you are in doubt as to whether it is applying, touch your pad against a window, you will be able to see the film this way.
    REALLY great idea and tip!!! Thanks Fred! This is better then my check method. I will switch

btw: I just did all my glass on the Sky last week with Ultima. Wow! slick!

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

I had as many as 9 coats of UPGP on my car. Use a MF applicator and store it in a small zip lock bag for future use. As far as streaks, don't touch it for the first 12 hours. A qd or wash will take it off. Some colors like white is hard to see, so do as feslope recommended and just touch your glass to see if you still have product on the pad. Remember thin, thin, thin.

Post Thanks / Like

I've said it before and I will say it again, "Ultima products especially UPGP and UIGP get way less recognition than they deserve" Killerwheels, CEE DOG and Rsurfer share this enthusiasn with me, "Thanks Guys" I usually apply 2 coats a couple of days apart followed up a couple days later with a quality "Nuba" The gloss, warmth and depth of this combination is hard to beat. This is a lot to show for under 2 total hours of mild effort.
    Last edited by feslope; 08-05-2010 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Fred R. Elias Jr.
    Warren, MI. 48091
    1-586-755-1245

Post Thanks / Like

I've said it before and I will say it again, "Ultima products especially UPGP and UIGP get way less recognition than they deserve" Killerwheels, CEE DOG and Rsurfer share this enthusiasn with me, "Thanks Guys" I usually apply 2 coats a couple of days apart followed up a couple days later with a quality "Nuba" The gloss, warmth and depth of this combination is hard to beat. This is a lot to show for under 2 total hours of mild effort.
    10 mins to seal, what could be easier? Like most here, just got bored and started to use BlackFire which I think as a warmer glow than UPGP. Now I'm fooling around with Power Lock. Sorry, it's just the addiction, I need rehab.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast