autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Use Ultimate Quik Wax, or Optimum Spray Wax or not?

Hi

I have a 2001 Audi S4 Black, that I drive about 3 times a week. Parked outside usually under trees (otherwise) on San Francisco Streets. I bought the car a few months ago and its been garaged in the past but neglected.

Last week I went to to a detailing, and used a DA and Ultimate compound and a polymer sealant on my hood. Rest of car was clayed a bit, but nothing else. (pics below), rest of car is more like the before.

I will likely be buying a DA in the next month or so and either using Ultimate Compound or something less aggressive to start with in the future.

For now, will be washing car with Meg's Gold Class and a wool mitt this weekend and after that, wanted to know if it would be good to use Ultimate Quik Wax or Optimum Car wax to protect, though there are several swirls etc. or should I wait till I remove swirls and then wax it even if its a few weeks.

Thanks

Shri
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Use Ultimate Quik Wax, or Optimum Spray Wax or not?-before-after-image-jpg   Use Ultimate Quik Wax, or Optimum Spray Wax or not?-paint-swirls-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Use Ultimate Quik Wax, or Optimum Spray Wax or not?

Quote Originally Posted by shriram View Post
    Hi

I have a 2001 Audi S4 Black, that I drive about 3 times a week. Parked outside usually under trees (otherwise) on San Francisco Streets. I bought the car a few months ago and its been garaged in the past but neglected.

Last week I went to to a detailing, and used a DA and Ultimate compound and a polymer sealant on my hood. Rest of car was clayed a bit, but nothing else. (pics below), rest of car is more like the before.

I will likely be buying a DA in the next month or so and either using Ultimate Compound or something less aggressive to start with in the future.

For now, will be washing car with Meg's Gold Class and a wool mitt this weekend and after that, wanted to know if it would be good to use Ultimate Quik Wax or Optimum Car wax to protect, though there are several swirls etc. or should I wait till I remove swirls and then wax it even if its a few weeks.

Thanks

Shri
    It would not hurt to put a coat of OCW in the mean time. Who knows what might delay the polishing (illness, weather, job, family, etc.) It only take 15 minutes or less do OCW the whole car. I would recommend Optimum new spray compound and spray polish for your correction. Easy to use and no dust. Mike P has some great vids using Optimum spray polish. Oh, and welcome to Auto Geek. Good Luck

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't used Ultimate Quick Wax but have used Optimum Car wax.

The wax has a milky appearance and sprays on very easily. The best part is that Optimum Car Wax is incredibly easy to apply! Spray it onto your vehicle and spread it over the paint with a microfiber towel. No buffing is required to get a gorgeous beautiful shine! Optimum Car Wax doesn't stain vinyl trim and or plastic moldings. Just spray and wipe! It only takes 20 minutes to wax your whole vehicle and it lasts for up to 5 months.

Now while it states no buffing I still like to give the finish a final going over with a soft Microfiber towel but I have to say when I was applying the wax it dried crystal clear. Using this product was so easy and the results so impressive I could and will use it after each wash or in place of detail spray.

You've got to give it a try.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Mike Phillips

I would agree with Ron, add some protection till your next detailing session, when using a spray-on wax it doesn't take long and something is better than nothing...

I would agree with Bobby too on the Optimum Spray Wax...

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have any experience with Optimum Spray Wax but Megs UQW is great stuff. Spray on, wipe off, and it can be purchased OTC at any retailer that sells decent automotive supplies.

As for correction, I do agree with using Optimum. I don't have any experience using their new spray compounds and polishes, but their liquid Hyper Compound and Polish are great products. My only complaint is that Hyper Compound has to be shaken vigorously before applying more product to a pad because I find it seperates extremely quickly. The Polish doesn't have that problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely wax it, you want to keep your paint as clean and safe as possible for as long as possible.
    I have yet to use my OCW, but have you tried Ultima Paint Guard Plus? I honestly find it easier than a spray wax to use. There's NO buffing. I didn't believe it when I used it for the first time either, I thought I'd have to at least give it a final wipedown. I came back outside with a microfiber after applying a thin layer of the UPGP all over the car to a completely finished car! It took me about 10 minutes to apply it to the whole car and wow is it slick. I use Finish Kare 425 after washing to boost it. Good luck
    2009 Summit White Cobalt SS/TC SOLD
    2007 Black Cobalt LT - Daily Driver

Post Thanks / Like

I used UQW all the time. I saw your post on the Meguair's site and let me tell you this stuff is killer for a booster.

I always vote to have a actual wax layer or 2, and top with the UQW. Since your doing swirl removal, it should be fine for now but as soon as you correct the paint. Time to seal it and wax it and final wipe down with the UQW is in order.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    It would not hurt to put a coat of OCW in the mean time. Who knows what might delay the polishing (illness, weather, job, family, etc.) It only take 15 minutes or less do OCW the whole car. I would recommend Optimum new spray compound and spray polish for your correction. Easy to use and no dust. Mike P has some great vids using Optimum spray polish. Oh, and welcome to Auto Geek. Good Luck
    I agree, I really like these 2 products.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

+1 for the OPT. I found that the UQW was difficult to remove and left a haze that took quite a bit of elbow grease to get rid of. I'd go with the OPT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt9123 View Post
    Definitely wax it, you want to keep your paint as clean and safe as possible for as long as possible.
    I have yet to use my OCW, but have you tried Ultima Paint Guard Plus? I honestly find it easier than a spray wax to use. There's NO buffing. I didn't believe it when I used it for the first time either, I thought I'd have to at least give it a final wipedown. I came back outside with a microfiber after applying a thin layer of the UPGP all over the car to a completely finished car! It took me about 10 minutes to apply it to the whole car and wow is it slick. I use Finish Kare 425 after washing to boost it. Good luck
    I love 4Star Spray Wax over UPGP. It adds Polycharger to boost the UPGP.
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast