autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: DEEP clean (Oxidation removal) of Chrome Wheels (???)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I've never seen "new" chrome plating go downhill so fast.

Have you tried contacting the manufacture of the wheels, show them the pictures and ask them if this is normal for their product quality?

Also ask them what they recommend for a solution to the problem.

Post back here what you find out... it might helps others into the future...

Hi Mike, thanks for responding in here!

The wheels aren't new, years old, maybe even an entire decade old. The Jeep they are on is brand new, just bought it a few months ago with 10 miles on it.

The wheels' quality doesn't seem to be that bad really, it was my fault not taking them off during the EXTREMELY BRUTAL Ohio long and harsh winter.
    "Don't Drive Dull!"
    Carsmetic Rehabilitation Detailologist: Aesthetic Actualization

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetal View Post
    I used to do plating in industry. Sorry to say, but from your pics corrosion has pitted thru the plating. You could grind/sand off the corrosion spots and the subsurface corrosion and then polish the underlying metal. However, it's unlikely that you will get a good match. Unfortunately once the chrome has pitted thru there is nothing you can really do to "restore" except have a plater strip and re-chrome. Polish them up, sell 'em cheap and use the money for a new set?
    Ahhh, I was afraid of that. Yes, there does seem to be a couple places that are pitted, beyond repair. However, since these wheels came with my last car I bought years ago, and I'm really not going to spend money on a new set, I guess I'm solely concerned with fixing these wheels up the best I can to at least perhaps make them presentable, if not perfect obviously.

So, that being said... I wonder if the 0000 Steel Wool, with WD-40, and then followed by a Chrome Cleaner, than finally a chrome Polish, would be best?

I'm still not sure of the differences between the chrome cleaner, chrome polish, what to use with the 0000 steel wool, what WD-40 does, etc.
    "Don't Drive Dull!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamic_Detailing View Post
    So, that being said... I wonder if the 0000 Steel Wool, with WD-40, and then followed by a Chrome Cleaner, than finally a chrome Polish, would be best?
    OK, gotcha. You're gonna have to experiment. First I would scrape off the blistered chrome and surface corrosion. You can try steel wool, but you may need a razor blade or dremel with a small grinding tip. Then get the subsurface corrosion. Any good metal polish should be able to tackle that. If the corrosion is tough, soak in some WD40 and polish again. I'd probably hit it with some acid cleaner too. Whatever you do, get rid of all the corrosion or it will simply come back in a few weeks. Be aware that the base metal you've exposed will corrode faster than the chrome. You'll have to polish and seal every few weeks or you could seal with some clear lacquer. I'd do the polish every few weeks. If you have just a bit of active corrosion and you seal with lacquer, you're gonna have almost the same prob later.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetal View Post
    OK, gotcha. You're gonna have to experiment. First I would scrape off the blistered chrome and surface corrosion. You can try steel wool, but you may need a razor blade or dremel with a small grinding tip. Then get the subsurface corrosion. Any good metal polish should be able to tackle that. If the corrosion is tough, soak in some WD40 and polish again. I'd probably hit it with some acid cleaner too. Whatever you do, get rid of all the corrosion or it will simply come back in a few weeks. Be aware that the base metal you've exposed will corrode faster than the chrome. You'll have to polish and seal every few weeks or you could seal with some clear lacquer. I'd do the polish every few weeks. If you have just a bit of active corrosion and you seal with lacquer, you're gonna have almost the same prob later.
    THANK YOU.

Whew, sounds like I really did a number on these wheels leaving them out all Winter. Man, what a shame. I do NOT want to spend $2,000 on a new set of wheels, but I hate the way the Jeep looks with the factory wheels on. I actually had an appointment to get the wheels swapped out BEFORE Winter set in, but the night before I got very sick, and couldn't leave the house the next day.

I appreciate everyone's help. Thanks
    "Don't Drive Dull!"

Post Thanks / Like

Hi everyone! I wanted to come back by after all these months and let all of those who offered their great advice and insight know last week I finally was able to have a day off, and spent a great amount of time on my Jeep and especially wheels. I followed the advice I got here, and now, with some work and 0000 steel wool and WD-40, the chrome wheels are once again shining after an entire winter of harsh weather and corrosion!

I also just made another order from Auto Geek that's being delivered today according to tracking! It's for my new baby and crowned jewel, something I've been hoping, and saving for over the last few years now dollar by dollar. My dream car... 2009 Mustang GT California Special which I have some AMAZING plans for, some of which have already happened! (Sound system, industry-best radar detector with discreet install, 22'' one piece chrome wheels and tires, and more planned for the spring)!

I am going to my first car show Saturday.

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone, and also ask if you have a quick moment please check out my new post right here and let me know if you have any feedback please: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ls-smears.html

PS: I also ordered a great metal polish with my AG order that I'm using next soon as it comes in per the post suggestion above to get the rest of the corrosion the steel wool missed.
    "Don't Drive Dull!"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123