autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

"My car doesn't need wax"

I hear this quite regularly from customers that come in to get their car detailed. They opt for the "interior only " package and leave their oxidized, swirlmark covered exterior to the elements.

Many car dealers are telling people that the car has a special "coating" (clear coat?) that does not require waxing or polishing.

Is this true? or is this just a cooked up tale made up by auto dealers to sell vehicles?

My opinion? I think all cars need wax. It's like scotchgard for your vehicle. People dont realize that wax does more than just make a car shiny, it is a protectant that nourishes the paint and protects it from UV and the elements.
    My truck is less than a year old and I already wax it.

What do you tell your customers that claim their car does not need wax or any exterior detailing?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: "My car doesn't need wax"

clearcoats are warrantied by manufacturers for several years, add this to more and more units being leased and people dont truly care as they count the months to the next ride. I think it has been proven time and again that proper upkeep and protection will bring more at trade-in provided they own it and care for it too.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Expert Car Care View Post
    I hear this quite regularly from customers that come in to get their car detailed. They opt for the "interior only " package and leave their oxidized, swirlmark covered exterior to the elements.

Many car dealers are telling people that the car has a special "coating" (clear coat?) that does not require waxing or polishing.

Is this true? or is this just a cooked up tale made up by auto dealers to sell vehicles?

My opinion? I think all cars need wax. It's like scotchgard for your vehicle. People dont realize that wax does more than just make a car shiny, it is a protectant that nourishes the paint and protects it from UV and the elements.
    My truck is less than a year old and I already wax it.

What do you tell your customers that claim their car does not need wax or any exterior detailing?
    Then why do new car dealers offer paint protection for $600.00?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a detailer, but it seems strange that dealers (read that "salesmen"), tell people that new cars have a "special coating" that doesn't need wax...especially when they're supposed to sell buyers a factory authorized paint sealant or protectant service. That's a high profit add-on and often would be more profitable to the dealership than the car sale itself.

Sales people tell a lot of incorrect things to make a sale and not worry about it. Maybe they think if a car buyer runs the car through an automatic car wash it will get what it requires. In fact, many dealers have car wash service for every car that comes in for service. Maybe that covers the sales person's promises.

It's kinda like when soldiers in Vietnam were first issued M16 rifles without cleaning kits and were told they weren't necessary. That didn't turn out so well either.

Post Thanks / Like

I try and figure out what makes the customer think that way. You may find that they just can't afford to have the exterior done.

Post Thanks / Like

This is all you need: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...test-spot.html

Complements of Mike Phillips.

The only "coating" I know of is the clear plastic wrap like coating that is put on with a heat gun or something. I don't know if they apply that to the whole vehicle however I believe I saw this being applied to a whole Porsche a few weeks ago (panels were taken off) on Autopia.
    2009 Summit White Cobalt SS/TC SOLD
    2007 Black Cobalt LT - Daily Driver

Post Thanks / Like

Many car dealers are telling people that the car has a special "coating" (clear coat?) that does not require waxing or polishing. Is this true? or is this just a cooked up tale made up by auto dealers to sell vehicles?
    It's a crock. If you'll pardon me I find it ironic that a question like this is coming from someone with "Expert Car Care" as their moniker.

Personally I use "wax" only on specific request and then only if I can't talk them out of it. Sealant is my preferred approach to paint protection after correct preparation. The salespeople at the dealership (most anyway) will say whatever it takes to watch the tail lights go out the gate.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

So what is this $600 Paint protection dealers are offering? Is it simply a synthetic sealant, same as what we apply? Whatever it is, it is deterring auto owners from doing anything with their car paint.

Sorry for not knowing everything Mr. Texas. If I claimed to, I'd be lying.

Post Thanks / Like

I think i can help with this subject. Up until a few years ago i worked for a dealership in the collision and detail department. The 600$ paint protection you are reffering to is a "special" sealant from dupont. This paint protection package comes with a warranty that covers the paint against oxidation etching and such for 5 to 7 years. But here is the catch if you wax the vehicle it voids this warranty.

Hope this helps explain why people think they do not need to wax there cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Expert Car Care View Post
    So what is this $600 Paint protection dealers are offering? Is it simply a synthetic sealant, same as what we apply? Whatever it is, it is deterring auto owners from doing anything with their car paint.
    Having purchased a new car in the last year, its when the salesman convinces the buyer they need paint protection, it sounds like a good deal they even say you only need to wash your car with plain water or our factory branded soap no wax needed for upto 5 years.

a quick search of Google for paint protection the 1st site says it does all this.

• Protects against acid attacks (such as bird droppings - and even brake fluid!!).
    • Protects against salt spray.
    • Provides true UV filtration.
    • Reduces cohesion on painted surface - keeps you car cleaner!
    • Blocks out corrosion.
    • Removes of swirl marks, scratches, and orange peel in the clear coat.
    • Increases resale value.
    • Protects against fading. Paint matching in case of panel repairs is more accurate.
    • Comes with Satisfaction Guarantee or 5 year warranty if applied by us

It can come in several types being a Teflon type sealant a silicon sealant and other forms of shiny labeled bottles. However at the end of the day if the salesman is good he will sell the product and the owner then has the believe that their car is protected. Im not an expert on the stuff but from what i have experienced when you finally convince them they need to wax their car its still is a normal car with normal problems sometimes more.

But quick answer to your question its more like an expensive sealant.
    W.O.T Services
    "make her feel Beautiful again"
    www.wotservices.com.au

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast