autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Doing an acura tl

He guys, I am going to detail my brothers acura tl and just wondering if you think this will do a good enough job.

Ive detailed my car a few times and parents and boat. I have optimum compound II/Polish II, Mez 85rd, Meg 105/205 for polishes and compounds. I have WG fuzion and Pinnacle liquid souv for waxes and poorboys sealant EX.

It is not very scratched or marred at all. However I doubt its ever been played though. So im just trying to go for a long lasting great finish, not going to really try to correct anything.

I was thinking of this being the best bet? I have a PC 2474xp

Wash - optimum car wash, Clay, (not sure if I should wash again with optimum or try ONR after claying.

Just polish with Mez85rd and finish with a sealant or wax. Not sure which would be the best bet. I can't really top the Sealant with a wax since I wont have it long enough to let it stand for 12 hours.

Or do you think going with 205 with a white pad and 85rd with a black pad would be better?

I know what I did with my car, but I went all out with mine, so this will be my first time with just a kind of touch up restore to show room shine. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Doing an acura tl

Sounds like it will not get waxed again for awhile so go with sealant over using the wax. But make sure you clay it, probably never been clayed before.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah probably not. Just wanted to also make sure it came out with show room shine too. And yeah, its 2006 and he hasn't had it done since it was bought so will be doing that.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't speak too soon. I have done many jobs that don't look "too bad" when I first start and then 12 hours later I just step back and say man, that was bad. Honda's are notorious for their cheap, thin paint. The clear will most likely be extremely soft. And like Meghan said, use the Poorboys. The durability on it is okay but it sure isn't Wolfgang or Powerlock!

Post Thanks / Like

I might try powerlock. I was going to pick up a few things before starting that im missing when i did mine (wheel cleaner/sealant), couple of brushes, ect. I only got about 6 hours to do it so wont have 12 hours to contemplate lol.

So just looking for opinions on probably best method, (just 85rd or 205+85rd) or ONR is any good to clean claying. So sealant will be the way to go, just want one that gives a great shine too (even if it might only last 4 months).

I guess its kind of hard to really tell without pictures..but I dont own a camera sorry

Post Thanks / Like

Just try not to get too far ahead of your self. If Adam or I schedule a full detail we tell them it will be at least eight hours. Once you start rushing, quality goes down.

Remember, quality before quantity.

And I would assume since he hasn't had it detailed, it is going to need some work. Without seeing the car, I would start with 205/white first. 85rd is finishing polish and is only used to polish out whatever marring is left behind after a heavier cut polish. I think Menzerna says 85rd has a cut of <1 and a shine of 5.

Post Thanks / Like

its been detailed but it always just consisted of wash+wax. Like I said I am only doing whats possible in the time frame, and wasn't doing an entire 3 step process. So I was looking for the best possible solution to get it to show room like finish..or close enough to it. Some scratches will have to stay..but its a majority type thing im going to go for here. I wont be sacrificing actual working time to get it done, just changing whats goign to be done

Yeah, the 85rd alone wasn't for any correction, just for shine. Im not a expert on all this yet though, so wasn't sure if going with 205 then finishing with 85rd would give a better shine or just better correction.

This ones mostly a interior detail. Im just doing the exterior as a courtesy and its all free. Still want it to be as best as it can be though.

Post Thanks / Like

Based on what you describe, I would probably use this as a starting point.

-Wash
    -Clay
    -205 with a polishing pad - do a test spot and evaluate. 205 usually makes for a good one-step on softer paints. If you need more cut, try Optimum Compound II with an orange pad, and if that isn't enough, I'd go up to M105/orange. But from the sounds of it, you shouldn't need to go that aggressive.
    -Wolfgang Fuzion - this should be the most durable out of the products you listed, and will provide the best overall look.

Post Thanks / Like

This has all been helpful for a plan of attack though. I appreciate it!

Post Thanks / Like

going to pick up some SSII paste wax now . So I was thinking pinn souv liquid with SSII layered on top. Think that would be better the fuzion or using souv liquid redundant. Its a dark green color btw also.