autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Member Wills.WindowsAndWheels's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Polishing Stainless Steel??

I was wondering if anyone here has some experience with stainless steel polishing.

I'm working on a boat and we just put on stainless steel railing on the bow...plus the prop is stainless as well as a lot of the trimmings. MOST of it i think i could get back with a straight polish (should i use the powerball min I have or stick with some 4" pads?)

The prop however has a few pad stains on it just from the water pressure against it...is there anyway to get these out (will m105 do it or is that a no no for stainless)? I've only got it here for a couple more days so hopefully someone can offer some suggestions?

Tried Brasso on the prop, it didnt put a dent in it.

I also grabbed a polishing wheel from Lowes that will fit an angle grinder or a drill...think this may be more appropriate?

Any and all help is welcome, ive never messed with STAINED stainless before lol

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polishing Stainless Steel??

Flitz had a stand at Detailfest and polished many items including stainless steel. They used their polish and their polishing pads and it was really cool to see what they could do with it.

Flitz Metal Polish, Fiberglass & Paint Restorer is available in a paste or liquid form. Flitz will clean, polish, and protect any non-porous surface

Scott

Mike Phillips

Stainless steel is pretty hard to mess up because it's very very hard to start with, it's also very hard to polish without the right chemicals.

I've worked on a lot of classic cars with stainless steel trim and have noticed by way of trying that aluminum polishes usually don't have much of an effect as far as taking something neglected and restoring it to look like chrome like you can actually do with aluminum.

Oley from Flitz was here recently and we tried his products out on stainless and they seem to work great at removing oxidation and staining from the heat shields on the huge Kodiak Truck we worked on, maybe look into some of their offerings.

Flitz Metal Polishes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Stainless steel is pretty hard to mess up because it's very very hard to start with, it's also very hard to polish without the right chemicals.

I've worked on a lot of classic cars with stainless steel trim and have noticed by way of trying that aluminum polishes usually don't have much of an effect as far as taking something neglected and restoring it to look like chrome like you can actually do with aluminum.

Oley from Flitz was here recently and we tried his products out on stainless and they seem to work great at removing oxidation and staining from the heat shields on the huge Kodiak Truck we worked on, maybe look into some of their offerings.

Flitz Metal Polishes

Hmm yeah i think I remember watching that video of you doing those rims with him. Ill check that out (damn i wish you guys had a branch here where i could just walk in and buy what i need lol!)

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know where you are located but Ace Hardware here in Central PA carries Flitz Metal Polish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post
    I don't know where you are located but Ace Hardware here in Central PA carries Flitz Metal Polish.
    Im in Az, but i do have a couple Ace's near me, might give them a quick look. Thanks for the heads up

Post Thanks / Like

I believe Collinite Metal Wax, Optimum Metal Polish, and P21S Metal Polishing Soap can be used on stainless steel as well if I'm not mistaken.
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Post Thanks / Like

Steel wool is definately your best friend if polishing tarnished stainless steel by hand. I recently restored my stainless 3" exhaust on my car with some 000 steel wool and some Megs metal polish and it worked very well. If you are going for a mirror finish, you absolutely must use a machine as you will never get it no matter how long or hard you work it by hand. That is if you are working on the brushed look ss, not bright work. I used Megs Ultimate Compound to correct swirls in my exhaust tip as well as some staining in the ss piping before the tip and it worked very well by hand even though it took some passes with the yellow german applicator. Here are my results:

Before:

After 3 hits:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by christian900se View Post
    Steel wool is definately your best friend if polishing tarnished stainless steel by hand. I recently restored my stainless 3" exhaust on my car with some 000 steel wool and some Megs metal polish and it worked very well. If you are going for a mirror finish, you absolutely must use a machine as you will never get it no matter how long or hard you work it by hand. That is if you are working on the brushed look ss, not bright work. I used Megs Ultimate Compound to correct swirls in my exhaust tip as well as some staining in the ss piping before the tip and it worked very well by hand even though it took some passes with the yellow german applicator. Here are my results:

Before:

After 3 hits:

I thought about my 105 as possibly being able to cut thru the 'crud' if you will and bring back the color..then maybe a polish.

I checked Ace for the Flitz polish but no luck. Might give the 105 and some metal polish a go tomorrow...and if the 105 doesnt cut it ill use the 000 steel wool as you suggested. Does steel wool come in a drill or PC attachment or is that mainly by hand work?

BTW, nice work on the pipe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wills.WindowsAndWheels View Post
    I thought about my 105 as possibly being able to cut thru the 'crud' if you will and bring back the color..then maybe a polish.

I checked Ace for the Flitz polish but no luck. Might give the 105 and some metal polish a go tomorrow...and if the 105 doesnt cut it ill use the 000 steel wool as you suggested. Does steel wool come in a drill or PC attachment or is that mainly by hand work?

BTW, nice work on the pipe
    It comes in a roll. Only way to use it is by hand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast