autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Product recommendation

Looking for a recommendation on what to clean these wheels with. They are chrome and the brake dust has been on there for at least a couple of years. Any suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Product recommendation-glenns-wheels-001-jpg   Product recommendation-glenns-wheels-002-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Product recommendation

i like using wire wheel cleaner (acid) with fine steel wool

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Donnym View Post
    Looking for a recommendation on what to clean these wheels with. They are chrome and the brake dust has been on there for at least a couple of years. Any suggestions?
    Meg's Wheel Brightner will melt that brake dust right off, but be careful using it as it is acid based.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the recommendations. The Megs Wheeler Brightner sounds good but a gallon seems like a lot.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The Megs wheel brightner is awesome stuff. Absolutely something everyone should have in the trailer for that certain situation. I used it the other day on a Freightliner that had so much brake dust that the wheels were just solid black. I was trying to squeeze another detail in and the day was running out. The megs made quick work of anything in its way. Just be super careful with it. Gloves, eye protection etc.

Post Thanks / Like

My request for a product recommendation has become a product review.

But before the review I would like to give a big to Shane (CieraSL) for recommending and sending me some of his Megs Wheel Brightner along with a couple of other items for me to try. He offered it and he sent it just like he said he would and the only thing he asked was for me to help someone else out if I can.

Thank you, Shane..!!

As for the review:

These wheels had not been cleaned in at least two years maybe longer and the brake dust was pretty well baked on as you can imagine. We mixed up about 10 oz. at 1:1 and all I could find was a small cheap paint brush to just give it some agitation and to clean around the center caps which worked fine.

We were only going to do one wheel just to see if it would work and then maybe do the other three over the weekend thinking it was going to difficult and time consuming but it only took about 10 minutes to clean the first wheel so we said why not, let's do all of them and in about 45 minutes we were done. We did three applications on each wheel, lightly scrubbing with the brush for about a minute and then rinsing with water and it cut through the brake dust with absolutely no effort. If you need a strong, fast working wheel cleaner this is the one..!!!

Here are the before and after pics:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Product recommendation-left-front-before-jpg   Product recommendation-left-front-after-jpg   Product recommendation-left-rear-before-jpg   Product recommendation-left-rear-after-jpg   Product recommendation-right-front-before-jpg   Product recommendation-right-front-after-jpg   Product recommendation-right-rear-before-jpg   Product recommendation-right-rear-after-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! That's pretty frickin' cool! Glad it worked so good for you! That's what I like to see!
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad too. I really thought I was in for a couple hours of work to get them clean but it couldn't have been any easier.