autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

My Kit that i have now is this good enough?

So i'm a starter and my car is in good condition since i wash it every week or two weeks. However, i see lot of swirl marks which is another story.. but wondering if the following items i have will be enough to detail my car and not spend additional money unless you guys have items that i really should get...

1. MF towels from Viking
    2. Waffle towel for drying.
    3. Meguiars Gold wash
    4. Turtle wax (tried other waxes but seems easily to apply and off)
    5. Meguiars scratch x (haven't used yet)
    6. Meguiars Scratch remover (haven't used yet)
    7. Water squeegee
    8. Car utensils for nooks and cranny
    9. Porter Cable
    10. Pressure washer foam gun
    11. Meguiars Quick Detailer
    12. Tire Shine from armor all
    13. Armor all interior
    14. Carpet cleaning solution oxyclean
    15. febreeze

Anything else that i must have so i can concentrate on actually using these instead of buying more stuff

Mike Phillips

Re: My Kit that i have now is this good enough?

Are you working by hand?

If so and you want to remove swirls, scratches and water spots, then get Ultimate Compound and SwirlX.

Read this as it's also a step-by-step guide as to how to remove swirls by hand.

Man versus Machine

Removing swirls out of clear coats finishes by hand is very tricky as clear coats are easily scratches. It takes the right products, application material and technique.

Post Thanks / Like

I did not see you any pads listed with the pc. If you do have which ones do you have. ?
    And I see you don't want to spend anymore money.
    But I would recommend getting a polish set- wolfgang twins/ megs 105-205/
    Ed

Moderator/Consultant for Autogeek.net

To achieve excellence, excellence cannot be rushed. Technique is just as important as the product used.
    While my approach takes more time, the results are far superior.

Post Thanks / Like

im not a pro at this, but after researching this forum for several weeks, it seems most guys like the 5.5 inch lake country pads for use with the porter cable and/or other da polishers. believe me, i tried to use the same product u are considering by hand, and they didnt work , so im going to the pc with buffing pads.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by HighEndDetail View Post
    I did not see you any pads listed with the pc.
    That's what I get for scanning!

I didn't see porter cable after scanning the thread... was actually heading outside to prep a car for tomorrow...

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by molarman View Post
    im
    believe me, i tried to use the same product u are considering by hand, and they didn't work , so im going to the pc with buffing pads.
    As a person that's taught thousands of people how to work on clear coat paints by hand I can testify that it does work but it's very "Technique Intensive" and after teaching people for over a decade now how to remove swirls and scratches by hand I can also verify that most people can't do it until they are shown how in person. So you experience is the norm and it's also the reason DA Polishers like Porter Cable 7424XP's have become so popular since the early 1990's.

Often times people don't list which PC they have so I don't know if they have an XP or a first generation, regardless, in order to remove swirls you need the pad rotating during the correction step and all DA Polishers can rotate 5.5" pads easier and more effectively than 6.5" and larger pads.

So do get the 5.5" pads.

I cover in detail how to use the PC in this DVD,

Mike Phillips' Principles of Machine Polishing

And this article which I originally wrote in 2004,

Tips and Techniques for using the PC 7424XP Dual Action Polisher to remove Below Surface Defects

And have confidence that you will be successful, this guy attended one of our classes where we teach everything in the DVD and look what he did...

(From my list of articles under Misc)

Misc
    Proof You Can Do It! - Joe The Detailer - Black Porsche Turned into Black Pearl!
    Proof the Average Guy can get Professional Results their first time Machine Polishing

And be sure to watch this video, this shows you everything you need to use a DA Polisher effectively

Show Car Garage Video: How-To do a "Section Pass" when Machine Polishing with a DA Polisher