autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Why is the Drying Process Driving me Crazy??

It seriously is! I am so worried that I'm causing scratches when drying that I feel that it is the weakest part in my detail (when probably it isn't). Maybe I'm begin OCD.

Here is my process

1.) Optimum No Rinse to clean a panel ( I have used it for 99.9% of my details since I bought it! )
    2.) Take out my waffle weave towel
    3.) Lay it over the wet panel and blot it to remove a lot of water
    4.) Fold over and wipe dry

I don't know why, but I feel like I'm not doing something right when more than likely I probably am. Also, I know many people say 1 waffle weave is enough for a car, but does your towel get really damp and lightly streak water on the paint? I've done customer's cars with the above method and they have all been very happy; however, I just want to make sure it is 100% correct and to take it to the next level so they come to me, and not hit up some joe-schmoe for a $45 detail.

Thanks again for all your help. I'm open to any constructive criticism.

John

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why is the Drying Process Driving me Crazy??

I don't think you are doing anything wrong.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like your method is pretty good. I have been using ONR for over two years on the same car (black metallic) - I wash it every 1-2 weeks - and I have not yet had a reason to polish it...and my method is identical to yours. When using ONR, you should not really have that much water left on the paint after you wash a section. As long as you are using a quality waffle weave towel you should be good to go. One thing to keep in mind is the pressure you apply to the towel - pressure should be minimal as you are simply trying to 'lift' the water off the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

We all have a little OCD Here the only thing I would try is using a qd while your drying like FK425 or Mixing the ONR in a sprayer bottle . I just gives a barrier of protection while drying. Also Try Sheeding the water of the car by rinsing with no nozzle in the hose ,by sheeding the water of you have less water spots then if you have a air compressor or leaf blower blow of what you can to reduce the water some more.

LOL Steven

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steven C View Post
    We all have a little OCD Here the only thing I would try is using a qd while your drying like FK425 or Mixing the ONR in a sprayer bottle . I just gives a barrier of protection while drying. Also Try Sheeding the water of the car by rinsing with no nozzle in the hose ,by sheeding the water of you have less water spots then if you have a air compressor or leaf blower blow of what you can to reduce the water some more.

LOL Steven
    I do what Steven does - sheeting and then FK425 - works like a charm. I use more than just one waffle weave to dry my car. Usually at least 2 or 3

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Munich77 View Post
    I do what Steven does - sheeting and then FK425 - works like a charm. I use more than just one waffle weave to dry my car. Usually at least 2 or 3
    Use at least 2 ww.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback fellas. I've always sweated my drying process because it seems this is one of the biggest areas for causing additional scratches / swirls. I constantly feel like I'm doing it wrong, but the comments make me feel a lot better about things. Maybe I'm just making it out to be harder than it actually is.

Also, I have been known to follow first with a blower to the clean panel before hitting it with my waffle weave too!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John K View Post
    Thanks for the feedback fellas. I've always sweated my drying process because it seems this is one of the biggest areas for causing additional scratches / swirls. I constantly feel like I'm doing it wrong, but the comments make me feel a lot better about things. Maybe I'm just making it out to be harder than it actually is.

Also, I have been known to follow first with a blower to the clean panel before hitting it with my waffle weave too!
    I use the blower as well. I feel that the less you touch the paint, the better off you are.