autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

BAD Etching... Really bad

I just purchased a 2001 Black Onyx Lexus IS300 that is in serious need of some paint correction. The main issue is that despite the backyard do-it-yourself waxing the previous owner kept up with, at some point in time the car saw a sprinkler or two. The etching has set in pretty badly, and never got addressed. After testing a small area with paint cleaner, I determined that the paint is either a tinted clear coat, or really friggin dirty lol. It seems way too hard to be a SS.

In order to tackle the task (among others, as I have a couple show cars too), I purchased the PC 7424XP, along with yellow, orange, white, and black foam pads (thank you AG for your stellar PC packages!!!). I also picked up some 3M Rubbing Compound 39002, and Foam Pad Glaze 39009. After 2 passes with the yellow pad and RC I could already see a slight difference, so I moved on to the orange pad and RC, and then moved to the Glaze with the white pad, and then Glaze on the black pad.

The problem is that it's not even touching some of the deeper etches... I've tried different techniques, speed settings, nothing. I'm not creating any new marrings, and no new scratches or really bad swirls so that's a plus, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to wetsand =/

Is there a better RC that I should be using, or do I just need to suck it up and get my Nikken 2000 grit out? It's original paint btw.

Here are some before shots:

Post Thanks / Like

Re: BAD Etching... Really bad

Welcome to AGO.

Have you clayed the car?
    He're a write up by Mike P. on the same car tha might help you a bit.
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...pc-7424xp.html
    CORN FED STI

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slava View Post
    Welcome to AGO.

Have you clayed the car?
    He're a write up by Mike P. on the same car tha might help you a bit.
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...pc-7424xp.html
    Thanks for the welcome!

I've studied that write up a few times, and it's been a great reference. It helped me get this far... The photos I posted above are actually right after I clayed the car.

I may just be experiencing some difficulties with the 3M line of products. Mike's write up makes me want to switch to the Pinnacle line now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by POHRacing View Post
    Thanks for the welcome!

I've studied that write up a few times, and it's been a great reference. It helped me get this far... The photos I posted above are actually right after I clayed the car.

I may just be experiencing some difficulties with the 3M line of products. Mike's write up makes me want to switch to the Pinnacle line now.
    Pinnacle line is great, another choice would be M105/205. I've been using that combo for a bit now and so far it's been able to correct everything I throw at it. I use M105 with orange and M205 on white CCS pads.
    CORN FED STI

Post Thanks / Like

I had some sprinkler etchings on my hood, but not as bad as yours. I have a silver metallic car so it didn't stand out as much, but at night when the light reflected on it I thought I was looking at the moon's surface.

I did a pass with my XP -orange pad-and Meg's Ultimate Compound since it's all I had. It made a little difference, but not enough. Mike Phillips suggested more passes and more pressure. That did it. I might have had more success with 105/205 combo, and will try that once I'm out of the UC. I need to follow his advice and mark the backing plate to make sure if the XP is still spinning when I put so much pressure on. I think it was just vibrating half the time.

Mike Phillips

The water spots in the Pinnacle write-up were very shallow and removed very easily, that doesn't sound like our car's paint if you're not getting anywhere with 3M Rubbing Compound.

I haven't used the 3M Rubbing Compound so I don't know how aggressive it is compared something like M105 or UC but from the pictures it looks like either of these would tackle those etching with enough section passes.

How to do a Section Pass using a Dual Action Polisher - Key to Removing Swirls
    (important part of removing swirls, scratches and water spots)

Might also consider ordering a couple Surbuf pads, these are very effective compounding pads.

Click this link and look at the pictures...

Surbuf MicroFinger Buffing Pads now at Autogeek!

Surbuf MicroFinger Buffing Pads