autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blowers for drying car

Yes it is true the air compressor that powers a nail gun can fill tires, and with the correct piece on the end of the 50' or what ever length hose, wil also blow air for what ever reason you deem necessary!!! cowl area, window, key locks, gas tank openings, around liscense plates, fender openings, door seams, tires, lug nuts, outside mirrors, engine bays, running boards, and many more uses I have not listed!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TLMitchell View Post
    I'd think you need a dedicated, removable blower that doubles as the vacuum motor. If you're still connected to the vac whatever's inside is gonna want to come out.

TL
    The fixed-motor shop vacs that I am familiar with require you to move the hose from the inlet port to the exhaust port to use as a blower. The filter should keep whatever is in the shop vac in. Otherwise whatever you sucked up in the first place would immediately get blown out the exhaust port. However, no filter is 100% efficient, and given pretty much everyone on this forum seems to care about their car's finish, I think a dedicated blower would be better for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trek View Post
    Ditto...this is what I use, with the hose, and a few attachments from 2" to 1-1/4" adapter for even more air force works great

That's a stout looking unit! My 20-year old Shop Vac is the taller, thinner 12 gal. model. I'm always wishing it was shorter cuz every time you give it a tug with the blower attached or the wheels get to a cord it topples over from being top-heavy. One of those things you don't think of when shopping but is nagging with each use.

2" hose is definitely an improvement over the inch & a quarter I have. When mine came out they were just introducing the "no-kink" plastic hoses, upgraded from the softer, thicker hoses that used to have the wire coiled inside. First time I used it I kinked the "no-kink" hose and fought with it for a decade before I finally wised up and replaced it.

The Shop Vac folks are kinda touchy about their competition. I used to fly for a charter outfit in Williamsport, PA where Shop Vac is based hauling their corporate muckity-mucks around. One day the honchos showed up while the line guy was finishing vacuuming the plane using the crappy piece-of-junk, no-name "shop vac" and they didn't look amused. Next trip they showed up with 6 Shop Vacs in various models gratis on the condition the piece of junk goes in the dumpster. Nice haul! We never had to run around looking for a vacuum again, they were all over the place.

TL

Post Thanks / Like

At everyone's suggestion, I went to the Home depot and checked out the yard blowers and the very small shop vacs. I found one for 29.99 that I am going to use as a dedicated blower. It is light and portable. Now I just need a longer extension cord to reach the other side of the car.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Black/Decker Leaf Hawg ... several years old and still works wonders. It is dedicated to car care not lawn care however.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

weed eater blower from Wally world. $29.00. works like a charm for me.
    2014 Subaru Legacy
    2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser

Post Thanks / Like

Now if I could just learn how to get the water to sheet off I will be cruising. I can't seem to get the turned down far enough with my hose.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jenn1270 View Post
    Now if I could just learn how to get the water to sheet off I will be cruising. I can't seem to get the turned down far enough with my hose.
    I don't think it is a matter of getting it turned down. It is removing the sprayer and getting it to come out heavy and high. Instead of beading you will see the water pour off the metal and sheet. Just start at the roof and let the water chug out of the hose than move to the hood than the sides. I believe I watched a utube video to see how it is done. I was kind of surprised it worked so well.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trek View Post
    Ditto...this is what I use, with the hose, and a few attachments from 2" to 1-1/4" adapter for even more air force works great

Using the same and works great. If it doesn't dry it off completely just time for more wax.
    Of all the people that I have net, you are truly one of them.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123