autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Is SIP/NANO that much better than TSR/FG??

It's that time again to polish the Vette for spring/summer. Previously I used TSR/FG with 95% succesful removal of swirls and scratches. I attribute not achieving 100% removal to my undepowered 1st generation Meguiars G100 DA and not using flat pads (5.5 flat pads were not available through Autogeek at the time). I am stepping up my game this time and purchasing a Griots ROP with LC 5.5 flat pads. I ran out of polishes and need to choose either the WG twins or Menzerna SIP/Nano. These two systems are the most widely used combos for Vettes that I have seen here and on the various Vette forums. The Menzerna combo is more than double the cost of the WG twins. I realize it's for double the amount of product (16oz vs 8oz) but was wondering if this incremental increase in cost is really worth it in terms of results, ease of use, time, etc.? Will I be able to achieve perfect results with the WG twins now that I have a more powerful DA? I will be purchasing some 085rd regardless as I am very impressed with everything I have read and seen on the forum. In regards to 085rd, I see on the Menzerna chart that it has some cut to it. Is it possible to remove minor swirls and scratches with this and a orange/white pad? Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is SIP/NANO that much better than TSR/FG??

Have you considered the M105/205 combo? You can now get those in 8oz bottles and are MUCH cheaper then the other 2 you mention. I can assure you that you will get great results using them.

Post Thanks / Like

I would also have to agree on the 105/205 combo i feel it works the best on the vettes hard clear coat.Also the 85rd really isn't strong enough for paint correction on corvettes but it works great to finish with and get some really great results with it using it that way.Blue pad and you will be set.Also you may want to do a test spot before you start the whole car that will really tell the direction that you need to go
    Lamborghini Broward

Post Thanks / Like

For your vette or any other car you will be using your da on, 105/205/85rd are going to be the best combo.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everybody so far for the input. I'm seeing the Megs 105/205 combo is the general consensus so far. However, I really don't need anything as aggressive as 105. I don't have serious correction to do. Just some leftover scratches from the previous detail and some new scratches. The finish is virtually swirl free. TSR/FG took care of 95% of it. The 5% I didn't was due to an underpowered DA and CCS pads. TSR/FG was aggressive enough. I just tired out from the continuous extra amount of pressure I had to use with the underpowered DA. Megs 105 is a heavy compound rating in at #9 in terms of aggressiveness on the Autogeek Compound Chart as oppossed to #6. I'm just curious why such an aggressive compound would be suggested for light to medium duty correction?

Post Thanks / Like

TSR and FG are close enough to SIP/Nano IMO. You could add 085rd for jeweling as desired.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

105 is aggressive, but, still finishes out nicely. It has become my go to polish even for minor swirls. It does the job quickly without creating too much marring. Since it is a SMAT product, you dont have to work it until it is broken down. This allows you to quit when the swirls are gone without removing too much paint. If in doubt, try the 8 oz bottles of it. Do a test section and see what you think. I seriously doubt you will be disappointed.

btw, love your vette. One of my favorite Special Edition Vettes.
    Kevin
    Griots Garage 6in ROP, 3in ROP, pneumatic 3in polisher
    Flex 3401, Porter Cable PC7424 (the old non-XP model).

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Is SIP/NANO that much better than TSR/FG??

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    TSR and FG are close enough to SIP/Nano IMO. You could add 085rd for jeweling as desired.
    +1
    2017 Shelby GT350, 2017 Dodge Charger Scat Pack, 2016 Focus RS.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xxxc5 View Post
    Thanks everybody so far for the input. I'm seeing the Megs 105/205 combo is the general consensus so far. However, I really don't need anything as aggressive as 105. I don't have serious correction to do. Just some leftover scratches from the previous detail and some new scratches. The finish is virtually swirl free. TSR/FG took care of 95% of it. The 5% I didn't was due to an underpowered DA and CCS pads. TSR/FG was aggressive enough. I just tired out from the continuous extra amount of pressure I had to use with the underpowered DA. Megs 105 is a heavy compound rating in at #9 in terms of aggressiveness on the Autogeek Compound Chart as oppossed to #6. I'm just curious why such an aggressive compound would be suggested for light to medium duty correction?
    Here is the thing with 105, you change the cut by the type of pad you use. So if you have four different pads you actually have four different type of cuts of polish. That is the beauty of having the Megs twins. The only down fall is that 205 needs to be followed up to really amp up the finish. Also 105 isn't as aggressive as people make it out to be.

I would not blame the da or you ccs pads for not being able to remove the last 5% of your defects but blame the polishes you had. You even said yourself that you had to use a lot of effort and that was from the polishes not being able to handle your defects. Get yourself some 105and 205 and you will see how much easier it will be to remove your defects.

Post Thanks / Like

I find on Corvettes, most of the time they need to be wooled with Menzerna Power Gloss. Unfortunately, the fiberglass bodied cars don't heat up like metal bodied cars, and require heavy polishing. Best of luck.

John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast