autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Misc ?s. 105/205 and Tape

When can I tell if I'm done using 105 and its time to use 205. Basically, how can I tell if its a job for 205? Is it just if the swirls are fine?

I accidentally ordered grey pads intended for 205 instead of white ones. Ive heard using 205 with grey works fine as well.

Since my wheels are painted black, should I use OJ/105 then grey/205 on them or just use straight grey/205 til the light scratches are out.

Taping: once done taping, what do I do to remove the tape lines?

Thanks guys

“You can have everything in life you want, if you just help enough other people get what they want.” -Zig Ziglar

Super Member Joshs2013MSAltimaSL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Misc ?s. 105/205 and Tape

M105 works very fast. I've just started getting the hang of it since switching from Menzerna. What will you be using M105 with? Rotary or DA? Wool or foam?

For your wheels, I would try using some M205 and a microfiber towel to polish them out. You always want to start with the least aggressive and then work your way up if it's needed.

After you tape off a section for a 50/50 shot, just polish over the tape line. If you overlap a little bit, that is fine.
    Be sure to check out http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-everyone.html. All pictures are welcome!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joshs07redss View Post
    M105 works very fast. I've just started getting the hang of it since switching from Menzerna. What will you be using M105 with? Rotary or DA? Wool or foam?

For your wheels, I would try using some M205 and a microfiber towel to polish them out. You always want to start with the least aggressive and then work your way up if it's needed.

After you tape off a section for a 50/50 shot, just polish over the tape line. If you overlap a little bit, that is fine.
    Ill be using foam pads with a PC! Could I use Klasse AIO instead of 205 or wil that not do that job?

“You can have everything in life you want, if you just help enough other people get what they want.” -Zig Ziglar

Post Thanks / Like

If you have 205 use the 205 it's made to go with the 105 and the end results will be well worth it .If all your swirls are gone or your happy with the results from using the 105 it's time to move to the 205.Just do a IPA wipedown before the next step.
    Lamborghini Broward

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 02blackout View Post
    Ill be using foam pads with a PC! Could I use Klasse AIO instead of 205 or wil that not do that job?
    I've never used AIO. If you have the 205, I would use that since it's a designated polish and not all-in-one product. Make sure that you have 5.5" orange pads at speed 6 to get correction with 105. I'm just getting used to its fast work time using a rotary. I'm not sure how it behaves with a PC, but I'd imagine it's about the same. Do you have any pads between orange and gray? Will you be following up 205 with anything?
    Be sure to check out http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-everyone.html. All pictures are welcome!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harleyguy View Post
    If you have 205 use the 205 it's made to go with the 105 and the end results will be well worth it .If all your swirls are gone or your happy with the results from using the 105 it's time to move to the 205.Just do a IPA wipedown before the next step.
    While using my floodlights to see swirls, are ALL swirls supposed to be gone after using 105? Surely not, 105 is just to remove all the main swirls until just fine ones are left for 205, right? I'm just saying when do I know when to use 105 or 205. I have lots of fine fine swirls so can I just use all 205/grey?

Quote Originally Posted by joshs07redss View Post
    I've never used AIO. If you have the 205, I would use that since it's a designated polish and not all-in-one product. Make sure that you have 5.5" orange pads at speed 6 to get correction with 105. I'm just getting used to its fast work time using a rotary. I'm not sure how it behaves with a PC, but I'd imagine it's about the same. Do you have any pads between orange and gray? Will you be following up 205 with anything?
    I sadly dont have the white pads yet. But I've heard using a grey pad for 205 will work fine. I do IPA wipedowns after 105 and 205

Post Thanks / Like

You need to start with the least aggressive first. Give 205 and gray a shot and see what it does. If you're happy with the results, then follow up with a less aggressive polish. If you're not happy with the results, then step up to 105 and orange. You always want to start of with the least aggressive combo first. You might want to invest in some white pads as they are better suited to follow up 105 I think.

Post Thanks / Like

I just did my 02 mustang GT last month with 105,205 PC. the swirls were really bad from up to 2ft away (and i mean bad ) but at 5 ft the car looked great. i used 105 and orange pad 2 passes about 1 minute per pass was about the max working time i could get out of 105. 18inx18in max size bolcks . this took about 6 hrs and alot of effort to get rid of the swirls and deeper scraches . Deeper scratches took more passes . Then i followed up with 205 white pad .This went alot faster than 105 and easier about half the time . i then used michine glaze #03 (probly a useless step but wanted the nutrients #03 for the paint) Then finished with Maguiers carnuba wax #26 . and the black GT probly never looked so sweet. Now there was some spots i could of worked more but i plan on doing again once it warms up . Now i just bought this car about 4 months ago so i am just finding out how much i hate ford clearcoat . It is so easy to swirl (lightly scratch) .I am allways doing touch up spots . Just as a reference if i lean against the car most likely i will be touching up the spot with 205 . What i learned is yes 105 is HARD to work with and takes alot more effort than i thought it would. But 105 is worth ALL the effort it takes . now when it worms up i only have a few spots that i will need 105 on. The rest of the car i will only need 205. And clean your pad often . i used 2 of each and still had to clean them a few times ( i did a full clean and set pad aside till i had to clean the next pad used rotery to spin the water out of the pads). Now my main problem is wiping down the car too much. The car is like a Dust magnet and i am starting to see some light swirling hear and there from me messing with it . But hay i want it to look its best at all times.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Misc ?s. 105/205 and Tape-100_4103-jpg  
    Last edited by vorga; 02-07-2010 at 11:22 PM.
    1999 BMW 323i
    2002 Mustang GT
    2004 Chrysler Town & Country

Post Thanks / Like

M205 leaves a little to be made up, especially on black. You need a finishing polish like P085RD or Ultrafina.

M105 will remove heavy swirling/scratches and will leave slight micromarring, but not much.

M205 will remove what M105 left behind, but again will leave smaller micromarring. This is where a good finishing polish comes into play.

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed that also 205 did not seem to finish off as good as i thought it would .(at least on my black mustng) i had Maguiers #03 to finish the car before waxing .
    1999 BMW 323i
    2002 Mustang GT
    2004 Chrysler Town & Country

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast