autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Ipa

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ipa

Hey Tad, I used that TAW you sent me and I LOVE it.

:dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sportscarhiatus View Post
    I felt like I had to revive this old thread again. I see some folks are claiming that Mineral Spirits (including Mike P) is a good way to remove LSP's and polish residue, right before applying LSP's. Then I see other folks claiming that MS is bad for paint, it has oils, etc etc...

So which is it? I'll be applying PO85RD here soon, and wanted to know the best way to remove the residue before applying a sealant.

am still confused.
    It is as simple as reading the bottle and seeing that mineral spirits contain oils. So you are defeating the purpose. You need to use some type of solvent that does not contain any type of oils to be sure all lsp's or polish residue is completely removed.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by ASPHALT ROCKET View Post
    It is as simple as reading the bottle and seeing that mineral spirits contain oils. So you are defeating the purpose. You need to use some type of solvent that does not contain any type of oils to be sure all lsp's or polish residue is completely removed.
    And to each their own...

When I wipe down paint with Mineral Spirits, something I learned from 'real chemists', it removes any fillers and leaves a squeaky clean surface and I like how it works better than IPA. IPA works great but it always looks and feels so harsh to the paint... that's just my own opinion, anyone can test both approaches out and develop their own opinion.

And what's really cool is everyone can find a way that works best for them... that's the freedom we enjoy...

Then decide for yourself... The only test that really counts is the one you do yourself and purchasing some odorless mineral spirits and some IPA can be done for less than $10.00

I never find this topic interesting enough to argue with anyone over... just find something you like and use it...

Post Thanks / Like

When doing an IPA wipe down, why does it matter if it's streaking on you? If your next step is to polish then it will remove this anyway

Mike Phillips

I felt like I had to revive this old thread again. I see some folks are claiming that Mineral Spirits (including Mike P) is a good way to remove LSP's and polish residue, right before applying LSP's. Then I see other folks claiming that MS is bad for paint, it has oils, etc etc...

So which is it? I'll be applying PO85RD here soon, and wanted to know the best way to remove the residue before applying a sealant.

am still confused.
    Stripping the paint to make sure you're removing all defects and not leaving any behind is a good way to make sure you're getting the results you want.

I'm not a huge fan of stripping paint just to insure your choice of LSP will bond or adhere, I think it's making the act of waxing your car more difficult and more rocket science then it has to be... but I also don't care if others choose to do this procedure, personal preference.

Now if a specific manufacture officially recommends this procedure, then my posting history always shows I recommend to follow the manufacturer's recommendations, so read their recommendations and follow them.

For what it's worth...
    I've never seen anyone walk out to their garage the next day after waxing their car to find a pile of wax on the floor surrounding the car because it didn't bond and slipped off the car...

KISS = Keep it Simple Simon

It's completely okay to revive old threads, as long as everyone complies with our forum rules then there won't be any problems. If there are problems, instead of engaging with the person causing the problem, simply click on the "Report" icon for them.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by matth9 View Post
    When doing an IPA wipe down, why does it matter if it's streaking on you? If your next step is to polish then it will remove this anyway
    That is correct.

It's really a non-issue. Newbies will tend to become anxious about it but it's really a non-issue.

Good question!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by matth9 View Post
    It IS an issue because if you're doing an IPA wipedown after your final polish PRIOR to putting on an LSP. If there is another polishing step, then I agree, point is moot. But if it's streaking or harming the paint in any way... why would I want to do that before an LSP???
    2012 Ford Mustang 5.0 - Kona Blue Christened name: MARILYN
    2012 Acura TSX S.E. - Silver Moon Christened name: TORI
    2013 Toyota Prius V - Blue Ribbon Metallic Christened name: PORTIA

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, Ive been briefly searching this morning about the purpose of this Wipe down.

can anyone explain why i should do this?

Also, i do my own body work, so i have some paint prep wipes. would they do the same? they are designed to remove wax, grease, ect... I assume the IPA would do the same thing as the alcohol can cut through the wax and grease. but might there be things in those products that can be harmful to my paint?

Does it have any benefits other then letting you see if your compounding was effective?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewBall View Post
    Does it have any benefits other then letting you see if your compounding was effective?
    It allows your wax or sealant to bond to your paint.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Mike Phillips

It IS an issue because if you're doing an IPA wipedown after your final polish PRIOR to putting on an LSP. If there is another polishing step, then I agree, point is moot. But if it's streaking or harming the paint in any way... why would I want to do that before an LSP???
    The streaking is just the alcohol and any remaining residues on the surface after you wipe. They are so minimal that application and removal of your LSP will also remove these trace residues. This is common to alcohol wipe-downs, especially if you use the stronger dilution. Using the 50/50 Isopropyl Alcohol to water version will reduce this or diluting the stronger version with water will also help reduce streaking and increase play time for wipe-off before evaporation and thus smears and streaks.

You also get smears and streaks when you strip paint with an All Purpose Cleaner, it's because Alcohol and APC's are not "Beauty" products for paint, so don't expect them to leave a clear, streak free finish, that's something a quality spray detailing or spray wax will do.

You can make waxing your car as complicated as you want, heck if you want re-wash the car using your favorite soap or detergent wash... again... it's up to each person to decide how many steps they want to do before applying their LSP...

Freestyle...

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.