autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is 3M Performance Finish a Sealant?

Quote Originally Posted by 07 z-oh-6 View Post
    They sell it a big lots for $2.
    alot of times that is the kiss of death for a product, I hate falling for anything at BigLots because it usually means I can no longer find it when it needs replacing.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

I see that 3M Performance Finish is a "finishing sealant" and I hope it is because it should be possible to layer it. However, I note among the ingredients a mention of aluminum silicate clay and that it constitutes about 5-10% of the product according to the MSDS.

I am trying to ascertain that this product can be layered and what the cure time for the product is. I talked with 3M and they advised that the cure time is 15-30 minutes and that it has no cleaning properties. However seeing the clay in the formula, has me concerned because I need to know if applying a second coat would remove the original coat.

BTW, when I talked with 3M, they advised that 3M Peformance Finish 39030 is a current product.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Layering is useless and has been proven thickness does not increase with additional applications. 2 layers for complete coverage is more than adequate.

The clay in question could be part of the chemical make up to increase its hiding abilities. Stop worrying about it.
    Alan T.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Optimum sealant is what I use. On black it really pops. Be sure you use very little and follow the directions.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    alot of times that is the kiss of death for a product, I hate falling for anything at BigLots because it usually means I can no longer find it when it needs replacing.
    I agree, why would a quality car care product end up at Big Lots.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SSizzlin' View Post
    They sell it a big lots for $2.
    They use to sell it at Big Lots. I bought it all now I have a mountain of this stuff and have still never used any of it
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Is it just me, or is 3M rather vague with the descriptions of their products? Don't get me wrong, I think 3M makes some great products, I just don't think they're very user friendly regarding their product descriptions. Sometimes it's hard to know exactly what one of their products is or does. I don't know. Maybe it's just me.

I have to agree. Neighbor works for 3M and I've asked him about 'his' products and even as an employee, he is at a loss for info. As of last weekend (7 days ago), he still could NOT find any info on the 5000 sandpaper.

You'd think with Meguiar's in their mix, one would think customer information would be more available.

Just my $.02.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

As I pointed out, when I talked with 3M, they assured me that it was a current product. The main question still remains about whether it can be layered because it doesn't have cleaning properties. Does anyone have any more information than what I discussed in my previous post.

I really think that 3M is just too closed-mouthed about their products but even companies like Meguair's don't often put cure times or cleaning information on their product labels. Also, as I pointed out, Autogeek should not carry products from companies that don't provide this information.

Post Thanks / Like

It's been my expierence a lot of manufactures don't offer advice because they don't have anyone on their staff who actually uses the stuff. I've had to school my local supplier on their own line of products on numerous occasions
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12