autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New to forum & detailing, have some issues

Hey guys,
    This is a great place, i saw so many thing that i did not know of, when it comes to polishing/detailing.

I have a few things, lets start....

The paint work on my car is very decent, not near perfect. I purchased a 7" rotart polisher, along with the heavy, medium, light, polishing and finishing pads.

I have some waterspots that have been on the hood and roof, ever since i purchased the car (4 years). The only thing i have done to the body from the day of purchase, is to apply some Turtlewax wax, to give some protection.

Few days ago, i read the instructions on using the rotary polisher (which was very helpful). Now, i started with the light cutting pad, and some turtle wax polishing compound (contains mild abrasives and recommended for this tool). I was not able to remove the water spots, but it gave the car a nice finish, so i moved up to the medium cut pad, and the results did not change. I moved then to the heavy cut pad, and i still have no changes. I used speeds 1-3 on the rotart polisher (from 600rpms-1,600rpms), and i kept it moving and applied almost no pressure (let the machine weight do the pressure) in order to avoid burning the paint.

Now, i did notice that area of the hood, which i was working on, did become warm, but not hot.

So, i skipped the polishing compound, and used a colour restorer and light scratch remover (polish with microabrasives from turtle wax) and used a light cut pad. Now, i got the depth out of the hood, it's really shiny and almost mirror like, however, under close inspection, or under some light, the waterspots are clear and some cratches (that you don't feel with the fingernail) are still present.

So, what is the problem i am facing? The car has a nice depth and mirror like reflection a couple of feet back, but close inspection, you can say that there is almost no differece.

Am i doing something wrong? i read that this rotary polisher is what the pro's use and will remove all problems with imperfections...

Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys, sorry for being a long post

Happy Detailing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to AG. I'm new to the rotary myself, so I want says what I think. I may be wrong. PM Toto, that's the man on sanding and buffing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Didnt know that Turtle had rotary polish product line. The rotary needs polishes for rotary. The colour polish is hand polish aka PC. You probably needs something with heavyer cutting to get all of the swirls etc out of the paint.

So, read and learn about the rotary at AGF, and same as Sparkie says, Toto is the rotary man here at AGF
    EVOIX

Post Thanks / Like
    Waterspots can sometimes cause very severe etchings that take a lot of work and sacrifice a lot of paint to remove. Unless you're dealing with a show car, it's best to learn to live with an acceptable level of imperfections in order to preserve the much needed clearcoat.

I feel that if the defects can't be removed in 2-3 attempts with the rotary, it's best to leave them in their "improved" state.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ZaneO
    Waterspots can sometimes cause very severe etchings that take a lot of work and sacrifice a lot of paint to remove. Unless you're dealing with a show car, it's best to learn to live with an acceptable level of imperfections in order to preserve the much needed clearcoat.

I feel that if the defects can't be removed in 2-3 attempts with the rotary, it's best to leave them in their "improved" state.
    100%. The minerals that are left behind when the water drop evaporates can eat deeply into the clearcoat. Every time you polish you are abrading the clearcoat. I think at some point you have to be able to live with "much improved" over "perfect". Do you have some pics you could post up of your car??

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey thanks guys, yes Turtlewax have a polish that is 'recommended for professionals with an electric buffer' click here

Im going to look at the cutting products here at Auto Geek Online, as well as finishes/glazes.

I will post pics of the car as well ASAP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to AG! I hope you enjoy your time here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, didnt know that.

If you are "fresh" regarding rotary polishing, its often a good idea to get as much info about it as you can. Its a great place to learn here at AGF.

Welcome to the AGF, detailing addiction 4 everybody

Enjoy

And yes, pics is goooooood
    EVOIX

Post Thanks / Like
    Guys, something caught my attention a while back.....

While i was reading the tips/guides to use a PC or Rotary buffer, i saw somewhere where a glaze solution will fill in inperfections.

Yet i am following back my steps of the AG website, and can't find this. I know the Glaze is used after polishing and before waxing, to give a 'wet look', but doesn't it also fill in those imperfections, such as those waterspots or tiny scracthes (that were deep but now have been 'buffed' down)?

And thanks for the warm welcome you guys

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosrom
    Guys, something caught my attention a while back.....

While i was reading the tips/guides to use a PC or Rotary buffer, i saw somewhere where a glaze solution will fill in inperfections.

Yet i am following back my steps of the AG website, and can't find this. I know the Glaze is used after polishing and before waxing, to give a 'wet look', but doesn't it also fill in those imperfections, such as those waterspots or tiny scracthes (that were deep but now have been 'buffed' down)?

And thanks for the warm welcome you guys

Yeah, the XMT glaze wets the paint and has fillers to fill in imperfections. It also brings out the color of the paint. You top this with your wax.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast