autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Scored a few high end cars, need you help!

Recently, I scored a few exotic cars to do details with me at a Cars and Coffee meet. I don't have much experience with some of these cars unless they are the same?

Here's the list of cars that I'm about to do business with:
    Audi R8
    Lamborghini LP-670SV
    Porsche Carrera GT
    Viper ACR
    Ferrari F430 Scuderia
    Highly modded Corvette ZR1

I have a few questions:

1. The Lamborghini SV is in Matte White. I have no experience with Matte colors. I'm gonna assume that it's the same process as washing a normal vehicle, clar bar. But polish, compound, glaze, sealant and wax wise - I have no clue on this. What are your thoughts?

2. Some of these cars have vents etc etc all over and am afraid to get water in there - this can be an expensive damage. The ZR1 owner told me to NOT get water into his carbon fiber hood. How do you proceed with this?

3. The Porsche Carrera GT has been clear bra-ed all over the car - the whole car! Would detailing on a clear bra be the same procedure as a normal car?

4. Some of them prefer house calls. This is a "weekend warrior" type of job for me. Would they prefer me to use my own water or etc etc? Or can I work things out with them on using their water? I'm not mobile as well.

5. There are swirls on the pinstripe of the Viper ACR. Would the same procedure of detailing a car be on the same on stickers/pinstripes?

Thanks guys!

Super Member ObsessiveAutoDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Scored a few high end cars, need you help!

Are you insured???
    Josh Bachman
    Obsessive Auto & Marine Detail
    www.obsessiveautodetail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 08xB View Post
    Are you insured???
    No I am not, unfortunately. It's a weekend job and I am a college student.

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly with all these questions you have, have not worked on these cars before and not having insurance you would be best not to work on them. There ws a perfect example on Topia last year were someone worked on a Lambo with little experience and ruined the trim. Plus with a higher end client you better be on your game and the cars better end up being perfect.

Super Member ObsessiveAutoDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to sound like a smart @ss... that's just quite a fleet of cars to be starting out on. Not assuming anything here, but based on your list of questions here... I'd say you are relatively new to auto detailing???

1.) Not too sure on that one. The entire car is matte? I have clients who own American muscle cars with the "SS" type stripes that are actually painted on in a matte black or white, I tape them off so as not to polish them. I have never tackled an entire matte finished vehicle.

2.) While I would not directly pump water into the vents, a little will not hurt. Most of the vents on these cars are actually functional, brake cooling and so on.

3.) There are products for dealing with clear protective coatings. Some people use them (I do), and some do not. If it is in good condition, just a quick detailer will do fine.

4.) That would have to be worked out with your customers. I personally have clients drop off cars at my house. I personally would never dream of using a clients water or electric. That's just my opinion.

5.) TAPE off pin striping. Unless it is under the clear, probably not though... tape it off. You will more likely do more damage than you can afford.

Just TAKE YOUR TIME! Those are some pretty expensive cars.

-josh
    Last edited by ObsessiveAutoDetail; 01-10-2010 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Josh Bachman
    Obsessive Auto & Marine Detail
    www.obsessiveautodetail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Todd Helme (TH0001) and Joe Fernandez (Superior Shine) are both highly skilled professional detailers. They are both members on Meguiar's Online, and I believe Todd is a member on AG as well, though it looks like he hasn't been on here in a while. Their websites and contact information are below (got the emails from MOL). I would email both of them and ask them your questions, since they both work on exotics and high end cars quite a bit. Hope this helps!

Todd Helme
    Orlando, FL
    Email: tropicaldetailing@yahoo.com

Joe Fernandez
    Covina/Los Angeles, CA
    Email: joe@superiorshine.com
    Website: Superior Shine Mobile Auto Detailing, Creating shine since 1989, WE COME TO YOU!
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Post Thanks / Like

im not sure waht da zr-1 owner was talkin bout(dont get water in/on carbon fiber hood), but for the most part, if ur tryin to maintain hi-end work just get as much info as possible. if they've taken care of their cars u may not have to put in extensive work pass whateva skillz u have. with the vents, dont spray water towards them, wet'em down from da back to da front. some vents cool da engines(upper) while lower ones cool brakes. so u wouldnt want to flood engine vents. if nothing else find da dealers to each vehicle and find out more

Post Thanks / Like

wow, that's a helluva nice set of cars you got lined up! I wish you all the best man! Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Unless allllll these people are like close friends that come over for cookouts and what not, I would not touch the cars without insurance and complete confidence of the job at hand. There's a reason it cost's 3-4 bills to get an oil change for these types of cars just as there's a reason that folks like Todd can charge $1200-$1500 for a detail.

just my .02. I'm a hobbyist detailer for the most part and have worked on some fairly decent luxury cars. I'm not saying I would shy away from the shot at laying my hands on an R8 or a lambo but...

Hey Asphalt! I was JUST thinking about that poor kid with the lambo story! that was one of the craziest stories to follow. After reading the whole autopia thread I went over to the lambo forum and read the rest. I can still see the shot of the kid smoking the cuban cigar while he took a break from his mad rotary skills.
    pics are removed but here's the story...

Teaser of the Year! - Autopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

The fact that youre asking all those questions, yet you still want to work on these cars? Some people never cease to amaze me. Wow......

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast