autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Good wax/ polish for old paint

I have a customer who wants his van polished. It appears to be in ok condition, but I think he said it was a 1992. Whats a good product to wipe on and wipe to make it look better before he sells it? Thanks!

Mike Phillips

Re: Good wax/ polish for old paint

For jobs like this where a customer wants you to restore a shiny finish for usually the least amount of time and money, you want to use a cleaner/wax but this isn't a wipe-on, wipe-off product, it's a wipe-on, work in and over, let dry and then wipe-off.

There are spray waxes on the market but these tend to be for finishes that are already in great condition as they don't offer enough cleaning ability to undo years of neglect.

A good cleaner/wax with a PC is as about as fast as you can get for a one-step for a neglected finish. You can often times even get away with a cutting pad to apply it with to give the cleaning agents even more bite.

Do you own any cleaner/waxes?

Post Thanks / Like

I just got most of the Wolfgang family of swirl removers to paint sealant. Is there one that you could recommend? The van is white and pretty oxidized, but in tact. Looks like it has the ability to really come to life with the right product.

Mike Phillips

The Wolfgang Twins and paint sealant would be a great way to restore the finish on this van the problem is it sounds like your customer doesn't want to invest for a top notch detail job?

A cleaner/wax would let you clean, polish and wax the paint in one step, the Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 doesn't offer any cleaning ability as that is supposed come form the Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0

If you can convince the owner to pay you for doing a two step process to the paint you could use the TSR 3.0 with your PC 7424 to remove the oxidation, swirls and scratches and then seal it with the WG DGPS 3.0

If not then you really want to add a one-step, cleaner/wax to your arsenal and then you can clean, polish and seal the paint in just one step. Less product, less steps, more profit and you're matching your servers to your customer's needs and wants.

If you're into detailing as a business, whether part time or full time then you should look at buying a quality cleaner/wax in bulk form and pouring off smaller amounts into secondary bottles like our new Autogeek Squeeze Bottles.

2- basic groups of car wax
    Let me see if I can remove just a little bit of the confusion… There are two basic groups most car waxes and paint sealants fall into, these would be,

• Cleaner/waxes or Cleaner/Sealants
    • Finishing waxes or Finishing Sealants

Note most people break protection products into two different categories,
    (Protection products = car wax or paint sealant)

Car Wax
    Contains some kind of naturally occurring waxy type substance, for example Carnauba Wax.

Paint Sealant
    Made from synthetic or all man-made ingredients.

You can have,

Cleaner/Wax
    A product that cleans, polishes and protects and contains natural protection ingredients like Carnauba

Cleaner/Sealant
    A product that cleans, polishes and protects and uses all synthetic protection ingredients

Finishing Wax
    A product that offers no cleaning ability with the focus on maximizing beauty with the protection based upon naturally occurring ingredients.

Finishing Sealant
    A product that offers no cleaning ability with the focus on maximizing beauty with the protection based upon synthetic ingredients.

And one more group which would be a hybrid product which contains a combination of both natural and synthetic ingredients. These products can be in either the Cleaner/Wax category or the Finishing Wax category depending upon if they offer cleaning or just beauty and protection.

Here's a partial list of cleaner/waxes... I'm working on a complete list of all our different waxes and sealants so this is incomplete at the time of this posting. I will also create a category for products that come in bulk but right now I have other behind the scenes projects to work on.

Note there may be mistakes in the below as this was copied and pasted from my rough draft files...

Cleaner/Waxes
    Menzerna Sealing Wax APO 60
    Collinite Paste Sapphire Auto Wax #73SS
    Mothers California Gold Original Formula Carnauba Cleaner Wax
    Poorboy’s World Polish with Carnauba (BLUE)
    Poorboy's World Polish with 100% Carnauba
    XMT 360 - 16 ounce
    XMT 360 - 32 ounce
    Meguiar's Mirror Glaze #66 Mirror Glaze Quick Detailer - 1 gallon
    Meguiar's Paint Reconditioning Cream D151 - 1 Gallon

Hybrid Cleaner/Waxes
    Meguiar's Mirror Glaze #6 Cleaner/Wax
    Meguiar's Mirror Glaze #20 Polymer Sealant - 64 ounce

Hybrid Cleaner/Sealants
    Duragloss Total Performance Polish (TPP) # 105

More to come on this new article... lots more...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the info! Yes, he does not want to invest much into it, just make it look better so he can sell it. I'll check out the links you sent when I get home later this evening. Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Meguairs D151 Paint Reconditioning Creme was made for this type of application.

Post Thanks / Like

I suspect XMT360, Klasse AIO, or Optimums Poliseal might help as AIO's and indeed the time is limited for sale of truck.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AeroCleanse View Post
    Meguairs D151 Paint Reconditioning Creme was made for this type of application.
    +1

Post Thanks / Like

XMT 360 on BOGO would be an inexpensive choice, with a da or by hand. Also DG 105 or 501 too for the white paint.

Post Thanks / Like

then why use anything else if they get da job done n one step...i used a cleaner/wax b4 on my own ride once and for the heck of it followed up with a wax. it was the meguiars mirror glaze but i just didnt feel it had dat wow factor i was lookin for