autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The Notorious Sticky Clear

I was working 09 G37 today with this new paint and it was a total pain. I got it done with M105(old forumla)/wool on heavily damaged areas followed up with SIP/white then 106ff/black all rotary. The M105 worked perfectly since the older formula cut fast with out heating up the paint but I had lots of trouble with SIP and 106ff gumming up on me. I tried every product in my arsenal and they all acted the same but stuck with SIP and 106ff since they did not gum as bad as the others. So those of you who have worked on the new self healing paint how are you dealing with it?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Notorious Sticky Clear

Did you try any of the oilier polishes like M205, Optimum, UF, etc? I would have thought those would work best.

Post Thanks / Like

I have them and tried them all. They all still gummed up and gave me crazy buffer hop. The Menz line actually has much more oils then the others do.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Lasthope05 View Post
    I was working 09 G37 today with this new paint and it was a total pain.

So those of you who have worked on the new self healing paint how are you dealing with it?
    I have not worked on self-healing paints that I know of but my good friend and Pro Detailer Lenny House has worked on one before and I don't think you could pay him to work on another if the goal is a flawless, swirl free finish.

He actually did a lot of footwork contacting the dealership and then the manufacture and had a horrible experience with the owner and the car dealership.

I'll send the link to this thread to Lenny and see if he would be so kind to chime in.

It's time for car manufactures to start painting cars with paint that the AVERAGE person can work on, not just specialized detailers and it's time they started putting more clear on the car, not just a minimum to save manufacturing costs.

Mike Phillips

I'll take a guess....

Is it black?

Post Thanks / Like

You need to use a DA on those sticky clears. Rotaries heat the paint too much which makes it sticky. It heals itself from sunlight(heat). The DA won't generate that much heat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I have not worked on self-healing paints that I know of but my good friend and Pro Detailer Lenny House has worked on one before and I don't think you could pay him to work on another if the goal is a flawless, swirl free finish.

He actually did a lot of footwork contacting the dealership and then the manufacture and had a horrible experience with the owner and the car dealership.

I'll send the link to this thread to Lenny and see if he would be so kind to chime in.

It's time for car manufactures to start painting cars with paint that the AVERAGE person can work on, not just specialized detailers and it's time they started putting more clear on the car, not just a minimum to save manufacturing costs.

This is the first one I've come across and probably wont be the last one either. I hope your friend Lenny can chime in on this topic a little more. And yes Mike, it was black. .. haha

Quote Originally Posted by loudog2 View Post
    You need to use a DA on those sticky clears. Rotaries heat the paint too much which makes it sticky. It heals itself from sunlight(heat). The DA won't generate that much heat.
    I didnt bring my PC to the job because I rarely ever touch it anymore. I guess I'll give the PC a try the next time he gives me a call. The thing is, I never generated that much heat. It was always just warm to the touch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loudog2 View Post
    I would go with at least the flex if you don't wanna take a week to correct a door, but yes the DA is the only way to go on the Sticky clear coats.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure some new polishes will be designed for this purpose.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by wfedwar View Post
    I'm sure some new polishes will be designed for this purpose.
    I talked with a couple of chemists that evaluated this coating and neither of them thought this type of rubbery coating would ever lend itself well to being abraded.

Lenny told me he tracked down a service bulletin so I'll try to contact him and see if he can share what it recommended.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast