autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Pressure washers: What do you use them for?

I am just wondering how a pressure washer can be used in detailing. I have used the two bucket method, and recently bought the foam gun and began using that when I wash my car.

I would like to know if using a "pressure washer" could be harmful? I know a lot of people use it to clean the wheel wells and cleaning the undercarriage, but what about the velocity of the water against dirt and the paint?

Using a regular hose allows for sheeting when rinsing so it will decrease the water spots drying.

Any feedback on this subject would be great.

Don

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pressure washers: What do you use them for?

It could blast the dirt into the paint, embedding it into the clearcoat, if you're unfortunate enough, it could catch some loose paint and blast it off. It also depends on which tip you use, what the PSI on the PW is, how far away you are.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a PW on every vehicle I detail to clean engine bay, wheels, wheelwells and rocker panels B4 washing vehicle. I also do all the plastic trim around the car like mirrors, mirror surrounds, window trim(wipes), wipers and cowl, bumpers, headlamps and fog lamps
    you wouldn't think PW water without any cleaner would work on plastic but IMO it takes off the oxidation on these parts and leaves a good base for trim enhancers

As far as on the paint, I don't get too close, use a wide nozzle pattern and hold PW at an a 45 not 90 degree
    Robert DiTerlizzi, 772-260-6636
    Impressions Fine Automotive Detailing
    7656 SW Jack James Dr.Stuart, Fl.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a PW but have never used it on my car. We have thick stainless steel plates cut using water jet so I am careful with water under pressure. Water under enough pressure or over enough time can do some serious damage! I know I'm just being OCD and under the right conditions used properly the PW is a tremendous tool. But for me it's too powerfull a tool to use on my car. I see Grand Canyon and S.S. plate being cut!

Merry Christmas!
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Like stated above. I do wheels, wheel wells, bugs and some underbody. Cuts down on the time I spend claying. It is also great at getting polish residue/dust out of the cracks and gaps after polishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    I have a PW but have never used it on my car. We have thick stainless steel plates cut using water jet so I am careful with water under pressure. Water under enough pressure or over enough time can do some serious damage! I know I'm just being OCD and under the right conditions used properly the PW is a tremendous tool. But for me it's too powerfull a tool to use on my car. I see Grand Canyon and S.S. plate being cut!

Merry Christmas!
    +1

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post

Merry Christmas!
    If you are careless? Yes you will do damage. They make different spray heads for this reason. I use the gentle "automobile" labeled spray head.

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking that a power washer would be a nice tool to have around for the undercarriage, and wheel wells. Plus, this time of year in Massachusetts it might be a good way to clean off the salt residue prior to using ONR or the DP RW&G in a garage to clean the car.

Post Thanks / Like

Pressure washer with a foam cannon and a snow foam is a MUST! Check this out -
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3c_ExTabPA]YouTube - Snow Foaming The ST with karcher lance[/video]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7MUNSS6y7o]YouTube - Snow foam time![/video]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8NbVP3Y100]YouTube - honda civic type r snow foam[/video]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFzurUJ4YMA]YouTube - Refined Details presents Snow Foam[/video]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKnVtUIOPuc]YouTube - GTI_SS Snow Foam (test 1)[/video]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIppGipTkoQ]YouTube - snow foam my bmw x5[/video]
    2008 Acura MDX Sport white pearl (daily driver)
    2009 BMW E70 X5 4.8i jet black (garage queen)
    2013 BMW F25 X3 2.8 jet black (wife's car)

Post Thanks / Like

I was about to buy a PW, then I found ONR and haven't had the need to buy one since. Most of my customers don't off road so I don't deal with caked on mud.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast