autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

black GTO with new paint on hood. Micro marring problems.

Hello all,

Love the site!!! I'm new to doing my own detailing largely because I could never find anyone who would do a good as a job as I expected. I have spent dozens of hours studying this site and trying different combos of products on my car. The info I have seen here has been invaluable.

On to my problem. My hood was painted 8 months ago and I decided it was time to start to remove some of the swirl and micro marring from the paint. I have been using a PC XP and Wolfgang combo from Autogeek and it works great. The car as a whole has almost no micro marring with these products except for the hood. I have tried 3M perfect 2 compound and polish, Wolfgang swirl remover and polish, and Maguire’s diamond cut. The painter is a friend of mine and told me that the hood has a "lot" of clear and he used a very hard formula.

What happens is I compound, polish, and the swirls appear to go away, under 500w lights and sunlight. The problem is when I try to seal the paint with anything (now Meguires 2.0 sealant) I find the swirls reappear. They seem to be in different areas, and never in the same pattern.

I am using Viking MF for polish removal and drying. It seems like the swirls come back with the use of the towels. I tried several other brands and same thing.

What I am wondering is are the swirls not really going away, and the polish is hiding them until I apply the sealer? It seems like that is when they reappear.

My products: Adams machine wax and butter wax, 3M compound and polish, Wolfgang swirl remover and polish, Meguiars 2.0 sealant and liquid gold liquid wax.

Polishers: PC XP and a cheap rotary polisher, CCS org, blk pads, several MF bonnets, 3M white and black pads, Meguires red cutting pad.

Any suggestions for this newbie would be great.

Thanks in advance.

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails black GTO with new paint on hood.  Micro marring problems.-13-jpg   black GTO with new paint on hood.  Micro marring problems.-driveway-22-jpg   black GTO with new paint on hood.  Micro marring problems.-20-jpg   black GTO with new paint on hood.  Micro marring problems.-dsc_0498-993-x-660-jpg   black GTO with new paint on hood.  Micro marring problems.-driveway-555-jpg  

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: black GTO with new paint on hood. Micro marring problems.

Don't have an answer for you, as I'm new too, but wanted to say nice Goat! I own a PBM GTO as well. I'm waiting on my PC XP and Wolfgang products. Best of luck getting rid of the hood swirls, I'm sure a more experienced user will help you out.