autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Detailing with a variable speed angle grinder?

Would it be possible to use a variable speed angle grinder as a rotary polisher for detailing?

I just recently did a detail on my boat for the first time in 6 years. The gelcoat was really chalky and oxidized, so I needed something with a little more cutting power than my Porter Cable 7424. I borrowed my neighbors Milwaukee rotary and it did the job but that thing is a big, heavy beast and I wasn’t a big fan of using the 8” wool pad. I like my 5.5” pads I use on my PC much better because they can get into the tighter spaces and contours a lot easier.

The wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas and I do need an angle grinder anyway. So I thought I could kill two birds with one stone and get a variable speed angle grinder that I can use for detailing as well.

It looks like if I use the lower speed settings on the angle grinder (starts out at 2,800 RPM), I’ll be in the same speed range that the rotary polishers spin at (1K - 3K). The angle grinder has a 5/8” shaft and autogeek sells hook and loop backing plates that should fit this shaft. So I guess I could buy a backing plate and use the 5.5” or 6.5"pads. In addition, the variable speed angle grinder is smaller and lighter than the traditional rotary polishers. Seems to me like this should work – just wanted to get the experts’ opinions.

Below is the grinder I am looking at.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005Q7BE/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lp o-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00002246L&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX 0DER&pf_rd_r=1RQ7ZKP0GHH7GPVXAZE8

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing with a variable speed angle grinder?

Welcome to the forum. 2,800 RPMs is going to be way too fast. You need something that will allow you to polish in the in the 1000-1500 RPM range.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
    Welcome to the forum. 2,800 RPMs is going to be way too fast. You need something that will allow you to polish in the in the 1000-1500 RPM range.
    I am not sure this will make any difference, but I should clarify that I am thinking about using this just for compounding my boat. The PC 7424 is more than enough for my truck.

If I use the 6" backing plate with a 6.5" or 7" pad with the VS angle grinder, would this slow the RPMs down a little?

I originally thought that if I kept the polisher moving and didn't apply pressure, that my boat gelcoat would be safe - but maybe this is not such a good idea?

Post Thanks / Like

Plus look at the back of the pad they have on it. The angle grinders have a metal guard which protects the back side of the pad and probably wouldn't be good on the paint.

I'm not sure how easy that guard is to take off but even if you find one that will go to the 1k rpm range, make sure that guard isn't a pain to get off.