autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to use cerium oxide correctly?

I just removed a moderate wiper trace from a Toyota windshield using cerium oxide. I used a hard felt bob in a drill motor and it took a little over an hour to remove the 11 inch long trace. After you are satisfied with the level of removal it will probably be necessary to wash the car to remove all the splatter.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by skizot View Post
    I have used this before and it is not a fun process. First the right combination of CO and water is necessary, to get the correct consistency of the paste you are ultimately applying to the glass.
    I actually haven't removed any scratches out of glass using Cerium Oxide, I've seen it done but haven't done it myself.

I have tons of experience polishing glass as in removing mineral water deposit spots, road grime and other gunk that build-up on glass as I did as lot of detailing in Oregon and because it rains there a lot the paint gets spotted and so doe the glass. You can't buff out a customer's car and restore a spot-free, high gloss paint job and leave the glass all spotty so I ended up learning how to polish glass and did this a lot.

As for removing scratches that's a much more involved process as you're removing glass particles where what I've always done is remove gunk off glass that was topical.

skizot's correct though, if you just buy industrial grade Cerium Oxide it comes as a powder and simply mixing it with water will work but it will have a tendency to easily splatter making a big mess. This isn't huge problem as you can wash the car to remove it since it's a simple water-base mixture.

The information that kb2ehj posted makes it sound like a real good idea to wear a dust mask at a minimum and safety glasses and gloves wouldn't hurt either.

Mike Phillips

Here's a pretty good thread on this topic by Dave Griffin aka Kickin Griffin who does writes very good articles on detailing topics.

Glass Polishing by Machine - Defect Correction

Some good comments by Todd Helme on page 2 of the thread related to the inner plastic film and antique cars with original glass.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I actually haven't removed any scratches out of glass using Cerium Oxide, I've seen it done but haven't done it myself.

I have tons of experience polishing glass as in removing mineral water deposit spots, road grime and other gunk that build-up on glass as I did as lot of detailing in Oregon and because it rains there a lot the paint gets spotted and so doe the glass. You can't buff out a customer's car and restore a spot-free, high gloss paint job and leave the glass all spotty so I ended up learning how to polish glass and did this a lot.

As for removing scratches that's a much more involved process as you're removing glass particles where what I've always done is remove gunk off glass that was topical.

skizot's correct though, if you just buy industrial grade Cerium Oxide it comes as a powder and simply mixing it with water will work but it will have a tendency to easily splatter making a big mess. This isn't huge problem as you can wash the car to remove it since it's a simple water-base mixture.

The information that kb2ehj posted makes it sound like a real good idea to wear a dust mask at a minimum and safety glasses and gloves wouldn't hurt either.

WOW! You guys went DEEP on this one. I knew I had heard of the chemical,but I could not remember where. Then it hit me in the Eye! When I was in college at Durham Tech,NC. We used the chemical in lab class. Opthalmic Labatory Mechanics. (making glasses) It was used to clean lenses,remove tents we had applied,and remove scratches. LONG time ago. I have the degree and detail cars. So I don't use it
    in my business or in my water treatment job. Good info though!

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=When I was in college at Durham Tech,NC. We used the chemical in lab class. Opthalmic Labatory Mechanics. (making glasses) [/QUOTE]

WOW Durham Tech getting mentioned on the board....I work only a couple miles down the road from there. Taken a couple classes there also, kind of half hardily working on an RT degree.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skizot View Post
    I have used this before and it is not a fun process. First the right combination of CO and water is necessary, to get the correct consistency of the paste you are ultimately applying to the glass. One of the hardest things about using this product, is you need the right type of pad to work this product on the glass and you cannot, under any circumstances over heat or buff/polish in the same spot for too long. It will leave distortion in the glass that is easily seen. If this is the windshield, you can wind up marring the glass to the point it is not repairable.

Ultimately with these precautionary information provided, the process is really not much different then polishing paint, in the sense that you want to slowly work across the affected area, not keeping the polisher in the same spot. You will need to have lots of patience, where unlike a soft or even hard clear coat, glass polishes down very slowly and you do not want to rush it. Ultimately, I have found that CO is much quicker at leveling scratches in glass, but can easily be applied incorrectly.

You will want to check your work regularly. If you want a less stressful way to level some scratches in your glass, might I recommend the Diamondite Glass Resurfacing kit. It is much easier to work with, less mess, includes all the pads and chemicals needed and with the proper patience can produce the same results. AG sells the kit in their store.
    Thank you for sharing.
    actually i want to try this diamondite glass resurfacing creme, but i can't afford the shipping if just to buy this one item. I wish i live in detailers paradise (US/UK) .
    i already have glass polishing disc, 3 inch BP rotary and DA also. just need the creme. but i have CO, so i think i want to use what i have instead buying another product. i once tried removing glass defect cause by using water spot removal on european car glass and the result is beautiful. but i want to learn more about really removing light scratch even moderate.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2ehj View Post
    Should anybody care:

Applications

Cerium(IV) oxide is used in ceramics, to sensitize photosensitive glass, as a catalyst and as a catalyst support, to polish glass and stones, in lapidary as an alternative to "jeweller's rouge". It is also known as "optician's rouge".[2]
    It is also used in the walls of self-cleaning ovens as a hydrocarbon catalyst during the high-temperature cleaning process.
    While it is transparent for visible light, it absorbs ultraviolet radiation strongly, so it is a prospective replacement of zinc oxide and titanium dioxide in sunscreens, as it has lower photocatalytic activity. However, its thermal catalytic properties have to be decreased by coating the particles with amorphous silica or boron nitride.
    The safety of the use of these nanoparticles, which can penetrate the body and reach internal organs, has been criticized.[3]
    Taken from:

Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    thank you for posting, i have read it before.

Quote Originally Posted by detailgod View Post
    why didnt you ask the friend how to use it?
    its trade secret he said.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldmodman View Post
    I just removed a moderate wiper trace from a Toyota windshield using cerium oxide. I used a hard felt bob in a drill motor and it took a little over an hour to remove the 11 inch long trace. After you are satisfied with the level of removal it will probably be necessary to wash the car to remove all the splatter.
    yeah, i am agree with you. splatter everywhere.

let's learn together Mike Phillips...
    i have read Dave KG posting on removing glass scratches, i just thought i want a second input.
    I really agree with you Mike, using dust mask and also safety eye glass.

Here's a pretty good thread on this topic by Dave Griffin aka Kickin Griffin who does writes very good articles on detailing topics.

Glass Polishing by Machine - Defect Correction

Some good comments by Todd Helme on page 2 of the thread related to the inner plastic film and antique cars with original glass.

thank you Mike, will look into it.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've only registered to offer some advice. Despite the thread's age it comes up high in google so it must be being viewed frequently.

I use cerium oxide to polish small stainless steel items. I don't mind the creamy red paste if using a cloth but I agree the red splatter is not very pleasant when using a gadget.

I got fed up and thought "there must be an easier way". The inspiration led me to this; I got a couple tea lights and heated them up until they melted. I then mixed the oxide up in the melted wax and made a reddish coloured bar of soap. I use the soap with anything that's spinning fast and although you do get "crumbs" when loading the mop or whatever, it's far better than the dust. Just make sure you don't contaminate the "soap" when making it.

Don't laugh - it works!

Post Thanks / Like

Teddz

I'm not laughing, its pure entrepreneurial, it's what a lot of individuals do on this form to make right for themselves and freely share their knowledge, its what make this form great, keep sharing

All the best

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting hack for working with CO. Kind of like a clay bar with CO as the active abrasive. I've used CO for many windshields with great results but i cover EVERYTHING that is painted or trim. Large blankets for the hood and roof and leave ONLY the glass exposed. The trick for me is to keep it wet and work the slurry. Wet = sling and that stuff gets everywhere. Do your glass polishing BEFORE you wash the vehicle.

Oh, and welcome to the discussion, Teddz!!! Great contribution for your first post.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast